Author Topic: Surgery  (Read 8004 times)

phx

Re: Surgery
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 05:58:24 pm »
Thank you everyone for your input!

epc1970

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 06:15:03 pm »
Phx
You are going to do just fine. I was a wreck prior  to surgery and all of a sudden two or three days before surgery I was calm...I had done what I could do (research, picking my surgeon etc) to "control" the situation and somehow I just gave myself over to my surgeons and let them take over. I do not remember much of my hospital stay except some vomiting the first 12 hours or so. I would not say that I was in pain-you will be kept comfortable pain wise! I know that I scared myself way past the reality.I think the wierdest part was the journey into the OR-Jim hit the nail on the head with his description. And by the way Jim...thank you for the reminder of the blood sugar testing!  :o  But you would not be human if you did not-you never had brain surgery so how would you know what to expect?? I hope that all of these stories from everyone has made you feel a little less anxious! When is your surgery?
Erin

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 09:56:54 am »
Just wanted to share with you one part of my surgery and spare you all the details. I should have known what my outcome would be I usually have no luck but listening to others I cannot complain. I kissed and waved to my family as I WALKED to the operating room and had to wait outside of it for a few minutes then they proceeded for me to WALK into the sterile operating room and got up on the table as I lay on the table waiting for the anthesiologist I said to myself that I am wearing the same booties from outside and thought what happened to sterile and I thought for a moment to get up and leave but I was put to sleep and woke up in ICU no infections thank goodness......

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Best Wishes,

Pat
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 09:58:48 am by pjb »
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

phx

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 09:09:36 pm »
My surgery is on Feb. 25th. It's coming up soon. Sometimes it's no big deal and sometimes I just scare the heck out of myself with thinking about all those negative thoughts.

moe

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 09:35:42 pm »
Phx,
You will do fine! February is a short month, just keep busy and stay focused on doing stuff for yourself, and whatever else needs to be done. It'll be here before you know it.
Pampering is  a must, and exercise if you are an exerciser.
Surgery......You fall asleep, you wake up, and then deal with whatever is dealt. Simple! If there's pain, demand relief.
They take such good care of you out of this surgery. Lots of attention, too much attention.
You'll be fine :)
Maureen
(My AN was a complicated one, so don't read into my signature too much. I am doing FINE) ;)
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Pembo

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 11:20:45 am »
My surgery was 16 hours, my husband didn't see me for 20 hours. I woke up to no pain. In fact I don't remember pain at all even in my drug induced haze. My biggest fear before surgery was how much pain was I going to be in after surgery. The 3 weeks between dx and surgery were the hardest part of the whole AN journey. My mom said I called at least 3x a day to tell her "just one thing."

Breathe, enjoy your life, do what you need to do, and we'll all be here when you come back a postie!
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006