Author Topic: Metallic taste in mouth  (Read 4938 times)

jan pentecost

Metallic taste in mouth
« on: June 05, 2005, 10:24:45 am »
I have an increasing metallic taste in my mouth....I have an appointment on the 13th but before then....has anyone had this and what does it mean? Is it because of the taste buds on my tongue being affected by the paralysis? It has caused me to have a decreased appetite...which I need!!!! But food just doesn't taste the same since surgery....and with the facial paralysis...I can't open my mouth as much as before....so eating takes more time....
Thanks
jan ;D
1.7 cm Left Side
May 3, 2005
Dr. R. Sterling Hodgson
Legacy Emaunuel Hospital
Portland, Oregon

ennayram

Re: Metallic taste in mouth
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 10:31:20 am »
The metallic taste is due to some of the nerves being traumetized. The taste will go away but be patient. For most people, it goes away gradually and usually takes 4 or 5 mos.

MaryAnne 

jan pentecost

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 01:07:42 pm »
Thanks, Maryanne...I had read here on the board that someone was advised to call their doctor right away if they had this reaction.....better than taking diet pills!!!
jan
1.7 cm Left Side
May 3, 2005
Dr. R. Sterling Hodgson
Legacy Emaunuel Hospital
Portland, Oregon

Raydean

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 01:38:22 pm »
Disturbance in taste  can happen bacause of an irritation of the facial nerve which is responsible for the taste to the front two - thirds of the tounge.  As MaryAnne has stated it will subsides over time.

Regarding the facial paralysis and the mouth.  My husband also had 5th nerve  damage along with facial paralysis which resulted in numbness to the mouth, decreased in salivia. I wish someone would of shared with us some hints and prevenitives.

Increase your dental awareness, talk to your dentist.  Between the numbness, lack of salivia it's easy for dental problems to occur more rapidly.  Looking back we would of invested in a Sonic Care type toothbrush to make brushing easier.
And would of asked our dentist earlier for preventitive products that can be prescribed.

A helpful hint that worked well for us, especially living in the original latte land was to have whatever drinks placed in a latte cup with straw.  it made drinking everything easier, less messy and no one gave it a second look.  To this day we always carry straws with us..

best to you
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

jan pentecost

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 03:57:19 pm »
I actually don't have any numbness...I found that out when I bit the left side of my tongue. I just can't move anything to the left of the midline of my face...including the left side of my tongue...can roll my tongue...right side only!!
1.7 cm Left Side
May 3, 2005
Dr. R. Sterling Hodgson
Legacy Emaunuel Hospital
Portland, Oregon