Author Topic: Could I get hearing back??  (Read 2295 times)

mnastasi

Could I get hearing back??
« on: February 08, 2010, 02:24:57 pm »
I am almost 3 weeks post op with SSD..I am still hopeful that some of my hearing will come back...I am wondering what all of your experiences are for those of you who did get some hearing back- how long should I give it??

thanks !
merle  :)

Lou T

Re: Could I get hearing back??
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 02:52:21 pm »
      Hey   My surgey was on 11/11/09  a/n  they were hoping to preserve my hearing but the nerve was to damaged. When I went back for my first DR. appointment I asked about my hearing.   DR said its not going to come back.  But every case is different.  GOOD LUCK                     

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 05:10:06 pm »
Hi, Merle - and welcome.  You post a very common question.

I can't give you a definitive answer (I'm not a doctor and even if I were, I don't know the details of your situation) but, based on experience, I would have to guess that your hearing won't return.  Generally, retention of hearing is obvious immediately after the surgery.  If it hasn't returned in 3 weeks, it isn't likely to do so, now.  However, being SSD is not terribly tragic but if it's a problem for you, BAHA units are available and very effective.  So, no need to despire.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 05:56:52 pm »
Around a month-ish post op I thought my hearing was coming back (actually I posted about it on here), but a hearing test later said it didn't/isn't. That's not to say it isn't possible, I imagine probably anything is *possible*, but I was told that the hearing nerve is very very fragile and weak and that the likelihood of it healing (like the hardier facial nerve) is pretty low.
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 08:56:06 pm »
Merle -

which surgical approach did you have?

If it was translab, changes are you're SSD permanently.  Retrosigmoid you may or may not be - but probably are.  Mid-fossa would have given you the biggest chance of keeping your hearing.

Your doc should know.  Did he say anything about your hearing nerve being destroyed during surgery?  Hearing nerves don't regenerate like facial nerves do.  If it was destroyed, you are permanently SSD.

The BAHA is incredible and I highly recommend it.  I had my implant surgery almost 2 years ago and consider it one of the best things I've done.

BAHAs rock  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mnastasi

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 06:35:53 pm »
Thanks to all who responded!  I had restrosigmoid and the nerve testing during surgery showed that the hearing nerve was in good condition.. Also, I could hear maybe 1 or 2 days after surgery and then i lost it. 

thanks!
merle :D

cin605

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 05:12:26 pm »
I had retro. 18 months ago...i still have some hearing...not totally gone.everything is really muffled...still have the ringing...i can hear loud things...i think its high tones i do not hear..the rubbing of fingers outside my ear ect.....other noise is aplified like a 100X..like potatoe chip bags n background noise.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old