Author Topic: AN patients with Parkinson's Disease  (Read 3619 times)

charnan

AN patients with Parkinson's Disease
« on: April 04, 2006, 05:58:16 pm »
Nead information regarding AN patients with Parkinson's Disease.

Raydean

Re: AN patients with Parkinson's Disease
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 03:30:49 pm »
I'm not a doctor or anything and this is probably one of those topics that needs to be discussed with your medical team or neurologist.  Having said that I do know that there are different types of Parkinson's including Brain Injury Parkinson's.  A friend of mine (non AN) was in a car accident  which included a head injury.  6 years later he developed Parkinson's.  My friend was a younger person
when all this started, maybe late  30's.  Still holding in there, but it's been a rough road.

During the same time I developed a small tremor of my hand.  (This was following an accident involving a head injury  and 3 AN related brain surgeries.)  The doctor laid out a list of possibilites
which included brain injury Parkinson's.  My problem wasn't Parkinson's but i found it interesting that he included it on the list.

I'm curious did the AN or Parkinson's come first.  If you feel comfortable sharing it'd be interesting to know your story. 

I also have questions that haven't been answered.  I had a large AN, my oldest daughter has MS and my youngest daughter has Chiari type 1.  All brain related with no other family members  known to have similar health issues. 

best to you
Chet

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

charnan

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 08:29:21 am »
As a follow up to my initial RFI. I am a 73 year old male, retired November 1982 after 33 years of military service in either the Infantry Airborne or as a pilot in the Army. Have always maintained excellent health. Next 18 years worked as Business Director at Embry Riddle University in Daytona Beach FL.  8/29/99 a CT scan wa evaluated to be a 1.5 to 2 cm Accoustic Neuroma.
10/26/99 I received the LINAC Scalple treatment at Shands Neurological Center, University of Florida. Annual follow up evaluations indicate the procedure was successful. I lost hearing in the left ear within 6 moths but no other side effects were evident. Over the past two years my gait and ballance has deterorated considerably. I have been through theorpy with very small improvment.
3/23/06 a neurological examination and evaluation led the medical team to sufficience evidence of Parkinson's Disease to start me on appropriate medication with sebsequent follow up evaluations to follow.
I would be interested in hearing from others with informarion to share. 
Thanks.

glory

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 09:05:55 pm »

I know someone that had/has AN and Parkinson's.  Had AN removed, developed Epilepsy about 5 years after surgery then diagnosed with the Parkinson's 4 years after that.  Currently in early 50's and can only walk short distances.  The AN has returned but currently not causing any more problems, already lost hearing in that ear.  I don't know if the AN surgery caused the Parkinson's, the Epilepsy caused the Parkinson's, or the AN surgery caused both of them.  I can't belive the surgery didn't have anything to do with it.  Was functioning fine before surgery & went downhill after that.  I know that Parkinson's has to do with a defiency of Dopamine in the brain, maybe the surgery "messed" up the chemical in the brain, or it could be the medicine from the epilepsy.

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 11:14:55 am »
Glory,

Do you know the size of the AN of the person with Parkinsons?  Did this person have other relatives with Parkinsons or epilepsy?

glory

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 05:52:36 pm »
Glory,

Do you know the size of the AN of the person with Parkinsons?  Did this person have other relatives with Parkinsons or epilepsy?

I don't know the size of the AN that was removed or the current one.  No other relatives had or have epilepsy,  parkinsons or any other neurological problems.

glory

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 08:38:16 pm »

Anybody have info about this?  I would like to know too.