Author Topic: Hair loss from radiation  (Read 3494 times)

lholl36233

Hair loss from radiation
« on: January 16, 2010, 07:23:38 pm »
Hi,

I had my hair done today.  I was told there were 2 areas the size of a nickel where the hair is gone.  They are in the exact place where I received my proton treatment.  The doctor did say this was a possible side effect.

It will grow back.  I'm not worried about it but I thought I'd share.

Laura

;D
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

MLB57

Re: Hair loss from radiation
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 08:55:47 am »
 ;D  Hi Laura,

I didn't experience any hair loss with my 6 FSR treatments at Mass Generall but anyway it sounds like yours will grow back so no need to worry...

Hope everything else is going well with you!

Hope to see you in April!!!

Regards, Mary (aka GrammyMary)   :)
1 cm rt AN (retrosigmoid Jan 2001 UMASSMed Ctr/Worc, MA)
Residual left--continued growing--finished 30 FSR w/Dr Loeffler (Mass Gen/Boston MA) on Oct 22 2007... --April 2010--tumor shrank to 8mm and is a dark spot!!  Latest Update: April May 2017 scan shows no change!--Next MRI 2020!!  Life is good!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 10:35:15 am »
Laura -

this thread by Sue in Vancouver might help http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5130.0

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 03:44:24 pm »
Laura ~

I'm sorry you had some slight hair loss from the FSR treatments  I didn't have any hair loss from my FSR treatments.  The radiation oncologist warned that I would 'probably' lose a small amount of hair but on the day of the first treatment, he said that he 're-calibrated' the radiation strength and although it would still be effective, he made it 'low' enough that I wouldn't lose any hair....and I didn't.  Anyway, as you noted, it's only 2 small spots - and the loss is temporary.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lholl36233

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 06:50:31 pm »
Thanks everyone.

The plus side is the bald spots are hidden.  As my hair stylist described the bald spots, it sounded just like the size of my tumor which would be the size of the radiation. 

No coincidence...
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 08:41:09 pm »
Hey Laura! :)

After my CK, I had a dime size spot on my front hairline. You've seen my hair so it was easy for me to cover it up (side parts do wonders) and it grew back.....

*puts on official licensed cosmetology hat*

Please remember that hair grows, on average, 1/2" per month (individual results may vary). There are ways to "help" with its regrowth, such as vitamin B complex (essential for hair and nails), massage and heat.

Hang in there... it will grow back.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 02:07:13 pm »
Hi.

I've since realized that my hair loss was not related to my GK.  It was probably from the usual culprit - alopecia areata.  After I looked it all up on the Internet, I saw where mine was very typical of alopecia.  I had a spot the size of a silver dollar or so, gone and now it's all filled in with hair - minus the pigmentation.  So I have a white patch now.

Your hair will no doubt grow in the same color.

Cheers,

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

lholl36233

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 06:09:19 pm »
The only time I get updates on my bald spots are when I get my hair done.  The woman who does it said the 2 bald spots are starting to fill in.  This time, she noticed a third spot that was thin but not bald.  The radiation did go in at 3 different spots.  The spots and the size of these areas match where the radiation went in and tumor size exactly.

It has only been 8 weeks since treatment stopped.  Not too bad...

Laura