Author Topic: My Two Month Progress Report!  (Read 3824 times)

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
My Two Month Progress Report!
« on: February 10, 2010, 11:56:08 pm »
Greetings Fellow AN'ers! I just wanted to give everyone a quick update on how things have been going.  It has been two months now since my surgery and things are going swimmingly well.  I am back to driving, both day and night. And the biggie event is I am back at work again.  Tonight, in fact, is my first night (I am at work right now typing this whilst on dinner break!).  I work for Intel Corp and work in a clean room with a ton of hi-tech machinery and I must admit walking in there for the first time in over two months was a bit overwhelming.  About 2 hours into it I was already ready for a break (which I did take!). I have a lot of training that needs to be done at work so that will keep me busy.  Everyone has been very accomodating so that has really helped.  My poor overtaxed brain was already wanting to shut down on me those first two hours, so I am now out of the cleanroom for a bit to catch up on emails and even did a little training/reading up on things.  Just gotta take this in small doses and not push it too much.  The jaw thing that was hindering me eating chocolate truffles during Christmas is now almost a thing of the past.  There's a tiny bit of stiffness in it but I don't notice it too much anymore.  My balance still needs to iron itself out more, but I am not bouncing off of walls or anything. Prior to me coming back to work I was out every day walking, up to about 4 miles a day, in addition to doing my vestibular exercises.  So all in all, I am doing very well! I only get headaches if I have really pushed it hard all day, so I'll probably be taking some Tylenol by the end of the night for that one! Hard to believe it's been only two months, it seems like it's been a lot longer. That's it for now, hope this finds everyone doing well!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Shelley G

Re: My Two Month Progress Report!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 12:18:56 am »
Awesome!!!  Sounds like you have recovered in record time. Just remember not to push it too hard
2.9cm
Gamma Ray Knife Surgery April 2009
25% hearing in right ear- conventional hearing aid Jan/10
balance issues- but getting better

badbadbrain67

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 12:31:17 am »
Wow that's great news. Congratulations are in order. I am also two months post-op this week. Wish I was doing as well as you, but alas I've got a while to go.
It's always great to read posts like yours.  It's a morale booster.

Best of luck,

Victor :) :) :)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 02:56:37 pm »
Hi, Jay ~

Thanks for the very encouraging update!  You're obviously doing great.  I like the fact that you're aware of your limits and while you're eager to get back to normal, you're also willing to take it at whatever pace is best for you.  Good strategy!  I agree that you're doing very well for only 60 days, post-op.  I hope your recovery will continue unabated.   :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 04:33:42 pm »
Jay,

Great to hear that you are doing so well!  When I first started back classes, I was not only exhausted at the end of the day, but I had headaches too.  Of course, school isn't exactly physically taxing, but it is very mentally challenging and it wore me out.  Time has really helped that.  I think I have built back a lot of stamina and now I am back to my regular routine.  I hope the same is true for you very soon.  I truly believe that getting back to my old life and taking my mind off of my recovery has been the best thing for my recovery.   :D   

I am also glad to hear that your jaw has healed and you are back to driving.  I know that those things go a long way in making you feel like you have your old life back.  Keep healing and keep us updated!

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 08:19:02 am »
hello jaylogs,
  Congrats on getting back to work.  I remember the first day as being the hardest.  And I slept alot after work for the first two weeks.  Things will continue to get better as your vestibular system continues to adjust.
  I worked in a clean room for Texas Instruments for a while, evap tech.  It's like working in a science fiction movie scene.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

gingerbread6

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 07:12:22 pm »
Hi Jay,

Way to go!! So glad you are back to work and doing so well. I'm progressing well too. I'm going on seven weeks post op, and right behind you. Still working on the balance issues, trying to walk as much as I can. It's tough to do in New England this time of year.

I think the magic scarf helped out a lot. I hear it's in New Zealand with Kiwi. Her surgery is scheduled for tomorrow. I wish her all  the best.

Thanks for the update,

Glad you can eat your favorite chocolate truffles once again!!

Gingerbread 6 

Marie

moe

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 09:11:34 am »
Jay,
Great progress report, and back to work too :) Congratulations :)
Let us know how things continue to go for you.....
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

MiniPlant

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 02:21:40 pm »
What I can only say is fabulous, encouraging!

Mini

Mei Mei

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 07:37:40 pm »
That's a big step going back to work...take it a day at a time and keep up the walking.  You're doing great!

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh