Author Topic: FSR Problems  (Read 2175 times)

sklugler

FSR Problems
« on: February 09, 2010, 07:23:38 pm »
In 2001, I was diagnosed only with an acoustic neuroma.  The only treatment I had was 10 days of FSR at Johns Hopkins.  Now, I am experiencing Hydrocephalus and cysts.  Please help me understand my options.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: FSR Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 07:26:44 pm »
Hi and welcome.

Based on the little info you shared, let me ask you this.... when was the FSR done? How long ago?  When was your last head MRI with contrast? What was found at that point?

Can you elaborate a little more so we can help with potential answers?

Hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 08:44:37 pm »
As the vast majority of us on the Forum aren't doctors - and those that are doctors, don't treat ANs - I think your best bet would be to discuss your options with an MD who treats ANs.

I think I'd start with the doc who did the FSR.

Just my thoughts,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sklugler

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 10:36:45 pm »
I had FSR in 2002 at Johns Hopkins for a total of 10 days.  I had annual MRI's.  Johns Hopkins only responded that the acoustic neuroma did not grow.  I now have major problems like hydrocephalus and cysts growing.  My local doctors believe that JH used too much radiation.  Any insight would be appreciated.  I am a statistic that is not good.  I have had major challenges.  Unfortunately, the late Dr. Williams did the FSR at Johns Hopkins.  I do not have the same insurance.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 10:39:58 pm by sklugler »

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 11:42:17 pm »
I'm not sure what options you are looking for, but if I were you, I would focus on getting medical attention for the hydrocephalus and cysts, not wondering what may have caused them.

The facts are that a fair number of people who have never had an AN or FSR treatment get hydrocephalus or cysts, and a fair number of people who have had an AN and FSR treatment do not have those conditions. While it is easy to think that they may have been caused by the FSR, it is almost impossible to say that they definitely were. I'm not sure what it would get you anyway. I see no use in dwelling on it.

I think hydrocephalus is usually treated with a shunt to drain excess fluid and reduce the pressure. They sometimes do surgery on cysts, depending on where they are and what problems they are causing. I would go to a neurologist or neurosurgeon and get the conditions evaluated and treated as needed.

Best wishes and I hope you are able to move forward.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

sues1953

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 09:17:33 am »
Wow Steve what level headed advice, you just forgot the "Take a deep Breath".

It's so human nature to want to blame, or find reason for what ails us.  I tend to blame every little woe on my newly diagnosed AN.  What will I say when the bugger is gone?

Good luck to you Sluger, keep us posted.

Sue
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

sklugler

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 02:45:19 pm »
Back in 2002, I was so high with FSR at Johns Hopkins.  I even left a very stable job to teach and write.  Now, my symptoms have gotten worse.  I should have done more research on the complications with FSR  as well as really have a neurosurgeon looking at all my MRI's  Johns Hopkins had reported that the AN remained in size, but never tolld me the patient about the other complications.  Now, I am dealing with hydrocephalus, cysts, CSF etc

Stuart 

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 03:30:51 pm »
Stuart ~

I'm truly sorry to learn of your recent problems; cysts &, hydrocephalus.  I can understand your frustration and angst but your primary goal at this time should be seeking relief for the medical conditions afflicting you and causing a deterioration of your quality of life.  Your 3 separate posts on this thread basically stating the same thing - your frustration with the FSR treatments that you seem to be convinced are causing your problems - are an indication that you are determined to blame your FSR treatments for your current medical issues.  That may or may not be true but at this point in time, treating the cysts and hydrocephalus are more important than placing blame, which wouldn't solve anything because the correlation between your FSR treatments performed five years ago and your current medical problems can very likely not be proven to a medical certainty.  Please seek medical help for your cysts and hydrocephalus.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.