Author Topic: flying and plugged ears  (Read 2571 times)

kawman600

flying and plugged ears
« on: February 17, 2010, 07:08:00 am »
i also have question on flying-i am  9 months post op and getting along well,although i still do get plugged ears on occasion,i am flying to Florida mid march to see some baseball and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions to help me with this as i know flying may increase this problem,thanks for any help

Dan

• Dan in Germany
Re: flying and plugged ears
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 08:52:51 am »
I flew from Germany to Chicago1 month before surgery and back to Germany 3 days before OP, I also flew from Germany to Greece 10 months after surgery and no problems at all.  I always take chewing gum along and chew it from takeoff until we have reach cruising altitude and then during decent

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 10:18:06 am »
I'm with Dan on this one... although I had radiation (Cyberknife), I flew from the States to England 8 mos after my CK... 7 hrs flight... some head pressure but chewing gum/hard candies helped the cause with the "plugged" ears.

BTW, hope you get to see a Red Sox game in FL. I am jealous!  Enjoy!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Arasha

• El camino es largo y dificil pero no imposible.
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 12:36:19 pm »
I am flying to Florida mid march to see some baseball and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions to help me with this as i know flying may increase this problem...

I was living in Ecuador and my AN surgery was scheduled in USA. I flew to USA two days before the operation,  2 weeks after my surgery I flew from USA to Ecuador (16 hours) without any inconveniences. Afterwards, I have been flying several times (long trips).  The only time I experienced problems so badly while flying was when I wore my hearing aid, an horrible experience!.

Have a nice trip to Florida.

Take care,
Gloria
Left side AN 2.5x1.8 removed on 10/17/2007 endosc. by Dr.Shahinian (retrosig) at SBI, LA,Ca. Facial phalsys (almost back). Balance issues. Tinnitus. MRI 8 months later showed AN was resected completelly.TransEar 11/2008. Clinical trial for SoundBite 11/2009. SoundBite user.I have the best family.

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 04:15:10 pm »
I flew at 2 months post-op.  No big deal, honest.   I did not feel any type of pressure or pain or anything.  My ears "popped" like they always have during the climb and descent, but otherwise I felt normal.

And I live in Florida, so my advice to you would be pack layers so you will be prepared for any type of weather.  We have been having the CRAZIEST weather this year and there is no telling if it will be hot or freezing come March.  Enjoy your trip to the Sunshine State!   :D

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 12:06:37 am »
If you have problems flying (sounds more to me like you already know you have problems and are trying to minimize/eliminate them, no?) there are products you can buy at the drug store that help equalize your ears while you are in flight.  Some are expensive though and I think the results vary (I've seen them but not tried them.  I considered them for my daughter who tends to have problems).  We're just back from a very long trip (16 1/2 hours straight!-ouch!) and I noticed an ad in the airport for some small little ear plugs that sit right in your ear and equalize for you as you go up/down.  Worth looking into if you're concerned.

Good luck.  Sorry, wish I had names for them, but they were behind the counter in the prescription area of the drug store.

Cheers,
Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!