Author Topic: Newly diagnosed  (Read 6344 times)

opp2

Re: Newly diagnosed
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 02:24:26 pm »
ok, I'll resend it, sorry about that. Not sure why your message hit my spam or the other didn't go..check your mail in a bit.

(Hi all, pls share personal email address in PM's... thanks. Phyl)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 03:56:02 pm by ppearl214 »
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

mk

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 03:32:17 pm »
Cyberknife and Gamma knife are similar in concept (i.e. they are both methods of stereotactic radiosurgery), but rely on a different source of radiation and differ in the way through which they are delivered (single fraction for GK vs. fractionated for CK, different equipment etc.). There are tons of posts here on their similarities and differences.

There is GK at Toronto Western Hospital in Toronto. You can get referred to the GK centre for a consultation directly (i.e. not through the neurosurgeon - your ENT should be able to do it). CK is only available at present in Quebec, but Ottawa and Hamilton are supposed to get it in the near future.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 03:57:19 pm »
Cyberknife and Gamma knife are similar in concept (i.e. they are both methods of stereotactic radiosurgery), but rely on a different source of radiation and differ in the way through which they are delivered (single fraction for GK vs. fractionated for CK, different equipment etc.). There are tons of posts here on their similarities and differences.

There is GK at Toronto Western Hospital in Toronto. You can get referred to the GK centre for a consultation directly (i.e. not through the neurosurgeon - your ENT should be able to do it). CK is only available at present in Quebec, but Ottawa and Hamilton are supposed to get it in the near future.

Marianna

Hey Marianna,

No biggie, just an update on what you have noted above (that I put in bold). CK can be done in a single fraction. MaryBKAZ had CK in a single fraction... I think at BNI. 

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"