Author Topic: Voltaren and Vicodan for headaches  (Read 6203 times)

Mei Mei

Voltaren and Vicodan for headaches
« on: November 13, 2010, 03:29:22 pm »
Dear Everyone,
As I reported to you last week that I had suffered two broken ribs from dragging my father from the bed to the wheelchair on Halloween night, I didn't tell you about the lack of headaches since.   I was saving this for week 2 in order to make sure it was real and would last.   I am happy to say that there have been only two headaches for the last two weeks and that was when I had a glass of wine which always bothers me.   Don't ask why I drank it   The Monday morning after Halloween when I woke up in terrible pain, I didn't know I broke my ribs and thought it was a muscle strain so went to the accupuncturist.  At the end of the visit she prescribed Voltaren for the pain and I took it all week with great results with the exception for the pain in my neck and sub occipital area.   I've had no middle of the night and daytime headaches since.   When I went to the E.R. for the continuing pain on my side they diagnosed two broken ribs and sent me home with Vicodan and a muscle relaxer:  Skelaxin 800 mg.

I'm still not having headaches and the pain in the neck is getting better as time goes by.   Over the past summer I've tried some pretty heavy drugs to prevent headaches:  Verapamil, Lyrica, Lithium and Neurontin; none of which worked to prevent headaches.   For some reason Voltaren and now Vicodan are doing the trick.   I hope it works for any of you who are suffering.

Hugs,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

cin605

Re: Voltaren and Vicodan for headaches
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 03:44:16 pm »
Great news Meimei!Maybe just maybe we can have a pain free holiday!
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Mei Mei

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 06:52:02 pm »
I sure hope so.  I am hoping for a great Thanksgiving

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Lizard

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 04:26:19 pm »
Wow awesome!!!!!!!!!!
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 08:40:08 am »
Careful with the Vicodin (hydrocodone)--it is an opioid painkiller, quite addictive and can cause rebound headaches when taken on a regular basis.  Just googled and Voltaren is brand name diclophenac, which is an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflamatory). Be sure to take it with some food to protect your tummy.  Hope you didn't pay for brand-names for either of these because they are common generic drugs.

Capt Deb
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 08:44:36 am by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Mei Mei

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 08:24:03 pm »
Thanks, Deb.   I got the generic, but stopped taking the Voltaren when I went to the ER for my ribs and arm and chest pain.   The internet said that if you get chest pain while taking this to see a doctor and stop taking it so I went to the ER and I wasn't having an irregular heartbeat but two fractured ribs from helping my father two Sundays ago.   Now I'm all out of the Vicodan and Skelaxin now and the headaches came back.   It's good information for me to tell the pain doctor that I was on all these drugs and had i.v. morphene at the hospital after they looked at my x rays of the ribs and none of these drugs stopped the pain in my neck and skull.  When they said they were going to put morphene in my i.v. I immediately thought of my neck and skull and not  the ribs and got happy and excited, but was disappointing when it only helped my ribs.   I can't even turn my head to the right to look when I'm driving.

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

sunfish

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 08:10:42 am »
I've taken Voltaren for a variety of musculo-skeletal aches and pains, and I'm a big believer in its effectiveness as an anti-inflammatory.  I've taken it in low doses on an almost daily basis for months at a time with no side effects.

I did have a doctor say this stuff can be pretty hard on your system, so be careful with it.  Mei Mei, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Voltaren that broke your pain cycle for a bit.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

cin605

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 09:36:51 am »
I say get more voltran and see if it works!
I hate the pain in the head and neck...grrr..go away!!!
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Mei Mei

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 04:54:07 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised either.   I haven't had any headaches in the middle of the night any more but it still takes me a long time to go to sleep.  I have been having headaches in the late afternoon this week since I've been off the Volaren and the Vicodan.    It was the Voltaren that initially stopped the middle of the night killer headaches, but I was having arm pain and chest pain.  The websites on Voltaren say that can be a side effect you need to see the doctor for and stop taking it.   I would like to go back on it, but am afraid of the side effects.

Mei Mei....What to do?
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo