Author Topic: Need Help non AN  (Read 2876 times)

Raydean

Need Help non AN
« on: May 23, 2006, 06:12:26 pm »
To make a long story short my adult daughter has some serious ankle issues and will be in a cast long term (hopefully)  Basically in a cast for 6 weeks, them re evaluated and if it shows start of healing then back in a cast, if it doesn't show healing then it'll mean a surgery.  So hopefully the cast will work.

Due to other health issues the crutches aren't working out.  I'm interested in purchasing a used
Roll-A-Bout.  For the length of time she would need it and the high end cost of renting plus deposit it would make more sense  to purchase a used one.  Anyone know where i can find one.  Tried e bay, no luck.  Her insurance won't cover this item and would have to drive to Oly town, just would be simpler to purchase. 

Probably make my life and Grandson's life easier.  He says Mom is pretty grouchy and can he stay with Nana.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in Advance
Raydean

They come in different names, Roll A Bouts , Knee Walkers are the , basically a walker for your knee to rest on that is easier to use then crutches.  I've called the company and left a message, but knowing how great you guys are thought that I'd ask here. 
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Obita

Re: Need Help non AN
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 07:22:56 pm »
Hi Raydean -

When I was in the hosp. to get my hips replaced I met a woman that had one.  She called it a "Knee Walker".  I just checked Ebay and there is one company selling them.

Let me know if you can't find it.  Kathy

ps:  I just checked all my old medical supply books and there are none.  It must be fairly new?  I have a regular walker I could send your daughter.  My femur fractured durring my first hip surgery so I couldn't put any weight on my right leg for a month.  It took some getting used to but I got the hang of it.
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Raydean

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 07:44:57 pm »
Hi Kathy

Thanks for your quick reply and offer.  My daughter needs the Knee walker, rather then a regular walker, has to keep weight off and foot up.  I've never done ebay, I just checked and the price is good, alittle steep on the shipping.  Please email me direct  for ebay info.  I'm really concerned regarding how to go about this safely as to payment and security issues.

Again thank you for your reply, the crutches aren't working out.  I think we'll be lucky if this cast lasts into next week and she's only had it a week!!  All ready been back to the doctor twice this week for swelling (on  it to much) and bottomof foot  part of cast is cracking.  This could be a  be interesting!!!!

Raydean

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 09:13:52 pm »
Raydean,
  I couldn't use crutches either due to back and neck injury when I had my ankle reconstructed.  I got a script and rented a wheelchair..the doctor had to order it.  It was 6.00 a week to rent.  I also used a rolling walker which was much easier to use than the pick up and shuffle kind..again the doctor has to write the script for wheels. Have you checked with an area church, rehab facility or shriners or lions club to see if they might have a loaner chair? 

My son wanted to live with his gma too!  LOL  Hey he still does especially after the AN stuff  LOL 

Best of luck!  Ankle issues are tough..broke both mine days apart!  Had to have the right one reconstructed with cadaver grafts.  Made a big difference but was a b*&^%$ in pain to heal

Raydean

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 04:28:59 am »
Good Morning Michelle

That's where she's at, if this casting doesn't help it,  then she'll need total ankle reconstuction.  Her Doctor did write her a prescription for the knee walker, but by the time you put down the required deposit, (Ranges from $200. to $600.) plus pay the first and last month rent of $75. per month.
it's almost be cheaper to buy the darn thing. Her insurance will only cover the crutches.

We live in such a small area that it's unlikely that the oganizations will have one,but I'll check.  Heck our local medical rental place doesn't have one to rent. This would give her mobility and keep the foot up.  Something I don't think she's doing enough of (keeping it up) with an active almost eight year old.

How long did it take your ankle to heal after surgery?   How much PT did it take.?

Thank you for your help and ideas
Raydean

PS Hubby is going to the doctor today so I'll ask  our GP for any ideas. My daughter isn't his patient  (was in the past)  but he's good about assisting if he can.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 04:41:37 am by Raydean »

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 04:41:30 am »
Raydean,

Let me check with PapaPearl.. he use to sell medical supplies for home use... and please please give my sister in crime a BIG hug for me (and to you and Chet!)

xo
Pnyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 10:07:08 am »
It took months of therapy after the surgery.  I remember the first few weeks being the worse as when you'd get up to go potty  the blood pooling to the ankle was murder!  After a year of being misdiagnosed and being in so much pain walking bone on bone..I was very glad I had the surgery.  Unf. for me it was my right so it kept me down not being able to drive for several weeks.  Also, got a handicapped thing which helped.  I'd crutch into the store and jump in a rolly cart to do my shopping.