Author Topic: Dr Slattery at House Clinic in L.A.  (Read 5648 times)

daylight

Dr Slattery at House Clinic in L.A.
« on: September 20, 2005, 07:58:55 pm »
I sent copies of my MRI's and hearing test for a second opinion to House Ear Clinic in Los Angeles last week,  Two days later, Dr. Slattery called me with his recomendations.  Middle Fossa was my choice, as he stated that I will have a 70% chance to save what hearing that I have left.  I understand from reading posts on this site that House is one of the top places for treatment.
Has anyone else been treated by Dr Slattery?  And can I have your feed back? I feel comfortable with his confidence.
I was called by a surgery coordinator today and will have my surgery October 24. 
I hope that I have made the right dicision.  I would like to save my hearing if possible and feel that if left not treated that I will lose it in time and possibly make future surgery more difficult.
Sue B. In Pennsylvania
Sue B.

julieteresa

Re: Dr Slattery at House Clinic in L.A.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 11:05:51 am »
hi sue b. -

this is the first time i've actually used this site (so i am doing this correctly and that you will read this).  first of all, let me assure you that dr. slattery and the house ear clinic are incredible!!!  dr. slattery is the nicest, kindest, most brilliant doctor i have ever had and i am thankful every day that i wound up at house ear clinic and that he performed my surgery. 

here's my story in a nutshell: i am 36 years old.  a year and a half ago i had trouble walking straight, balance, loss of facial movement, etc.  i had an mri on a tuesday and two days later i had a surgery at house ear clinic to remove a 4.5cm (!!!) acoustic neuroma.  i didn't have any time to research about my condidition, my options, various doctors, what an acoustic neuroma is, etc.  my ear, nose and throat doctor recommended the house ear clinic and dr. slattery. i live in los angeles and i went there that afternoon. i met with dr. slattery and immediately felt at ease.  he told me  that due to the size and and the location of tumor i needed the translabrynthe accproach and that i would lose hearing permanently in my right ear.  (and at that point i didn't care about the hearing loss because i was so happy that i wasn't going to die!)

the house ear clinic was wonderful and accomodating.  sheila (my surgery coordinator) was able to move mountains for me to have my surgery as soon as possible (two days later!) because my tumor was so big and already pressing on my brain stem.  the strange thing is, even up until the point when i was being wheeled into the operating room, i wasn't afraid. i was confident that i was in the right place and that i would be okay. 

dr. slattery and dr. schwartz (also a kind, genius) performed my surgery.  they removed 99% of my tumor.  while i lost my hearing, i was still concerned about facial movement.  however, the day after the surgery i was already able to move the affected side of my face.  these wonderful doctors spent almost eight hours meticulously and carefully removing the tumor around my facial nerve to preserve it.  i know that i wouldn't have had the same incredible result had i gone elsewhere. 

after the surgery, the hospital took great care of me and i was out of there five days later.  my facial movement is 100% regained, as is my balance.  i do yoga three times a week, i run 20 miles a week and i have never felt better.

i just can't say enough wonderful things about the house ear clinic.  dr. slattery is an angel, and i am forever grateful to him, dr. schwartz and the incredible staff at house. 

if you'd like, i would be happy to speak to you on the phone to answer any questions you might have.  feel free to  send me an e-mail (jheimler@aol.com) with your telephone number or you can e-mail me and  i will give you mine.

-julie h. :)

4.5 Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
April 22, 2004
House Ear Clinic
Dr. William Slattery III and Dr. Mark Schwartz

Angela

Re: Dr Slattery at House Clinic in L.A.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 04:14:11 pm »
I've talked to Slattery a few times.  He was the first to review my MRI.  Nice enough but I didn't get a 'warm fuzzy' over the phone.  I do appreciate that he traced me 1 year post-op, inquiring about my recovery.
ongoing issues: SSD, some facial paralysis, dry eye, bad balance, tinnitus

Feb'05 Stanford- 4cm x 3 x 3 "Timmy the Big Fat Tumor" removed via 13hr Trans Lab
Nov'07 Stanford- 2hr nerve graft
Mar'08 FACE STARTED MOVING, PRAISE GOD!Sep'10 Stanford- cyberknife for 2nd tumor "tiny tommy"
Mar'12 :)