Author Topic: What's up with hearing devices?  (Read 1672 times)

beachman

What's up with hearing devices?
« on: April 06, 2010, 02:14:54 pm »
What's up with the hearing aids?  My husband is having surgery on April 22 at House...we finally decided YEAH!!  Everyone is right it gets alot easier once the decision is made.  He is scheduled for a translab.  If he opts for a hearing device will he get it then?

JerseyGirl2

Re: What's up with hearing devices?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 03:56:28 pm »
Congratulations on your decision! Your husband will be in great hands at House. I had my translab done there in January 2008 and had the BAHA implant surgery done at the same time. It adds about 45 minutes to the operating room stay, is done while the patient is still under anesthesia, and is a non-issue in the recovery process. I'm delighted that House is one of the places (there are at least a few others) which "combines" the procedures. Your husband should check with his nurse-consultant, to whom he probably has already been assigned, for details and to start the insurance coverage process.

Best wishes,

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 04:28:20 pm »
Some docs combine AN and BAHA surgeries, some don't.  Mine doesn't - but from what I understand it's a personal choice (usually the doc's, not the patient's).

Although my surgeries were separate, the BAHA wasn't a big deal at all - ABSOLUTELY nothing like the AN surgery.  Time was much shorter (about 90 minutes as opposed to 7 1/2 hours).  It didn't involve a hospital stay - it was done outpatient.  And I had local, not general anesthetic.

I was fearful of having another "head surgery" after the AN, but many on this Forum assured me that I had nothing to fear.  And they were thankfully correct.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 01:18:04 pm »
My surgery was done at House and I got my BAHA combined with the translab.  Which is a good thing, because I would never have gotten the BAHA otherwise.  I have no intentions of every going under again, unless it is necessary for my well-being, and local anesthetics don't work very well on me. :-P

V