Author Topic: Trying to forget.  (Read 2686 times)

stevecms

Trying to forget.
« on: January 12, 2010, 05:50:53 pm »
Hi,i know there are plenty of people worse off but when do you start to get used to this.I think its a mix of being ssd but also my ear since op now pulsates.Spoke to doc who said its where they removed some bone,no idea why they didnt put it back.But everytime i strain to lift etc the scar area feels tight,sorry to moan on a bit. :(
4 cm acc neuroma 99.9% removed queen elizabeth hospital 6 sept 09 by dr walsh.thought it was trigeminal neuralga,lots of facial pain for 18mths,now deaf on rh side little taste and ear pressure.13 hour surgery.

cin605

Re: Trying to forget.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 06:18:53 pm »
Everyones diff.....You are still early out.....I still get the pulsating n pain when ever i strain.....1 1/2 years out. ::)
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

lori67

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 03:05:37 pm »
Hi Steve.

Don't worry about moaning - we don't mind.  Everyone needs to vent every now and then.

Like cin said, you're still early in your recovery and you had a really big AN!  Give yourself some time to heal and try not to be too hard on yourself.

I never had the pulsating ear, but it did take me a while to adjust to the SSD.  When I finally accepted the fact that is was going to happen when it was good and ready to happen and not when I wanted it to happen, I was able to relax a bit and let my body be in charge.  I guess I kinda figured it was going to be in charge anyway, so why fight it?

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 04:53:03 pm »
Steve ~

These forums are for the help and support of AN patients.  We know what you're dealing with and if you can't vent here, then where?   Besides, things usually do improve over time. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 07:49:04 am »
Stevecm,
I had surgery just a little while after you (yours was on my birthday!) and I'm actually starting to feel a bit "normal" now. I don't know if we ever 'forget', though. I still have these scary flashbacks to being in the hospital. :( And while I don't have the pulsing, my scar does get the tight feeling and frequently just hurts.
I attribute my finally starting to feel recovered to taking up daily exercising (light exercise - no heavy weights or anything - like yoga and stuff) and trying to do more mentally involved tasks that I enjoy (like baking - it really is a mental chanllenge when you've got two or more different kinds of cakes or cookies comign in and out of the oven!). I haven't been back to work yet, though, so maybe once I get there I'll feel "off" again.
Hope things look up for you, soon!
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

martyc

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 10:51:30 pm »
I have a "tight skull" too...that's what the pulsating makes me feel like anyways.  It's usually most noticeable with fatigue.  Look for the triggers for the sensation.  It's definitely one of those things that remind me that I've had brain surgery.
Take care.  You are not alone.
Marty
Marty