Author Topic: Survey for those with BAHAs who are SSD  (Read 2830 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Survey for those with BAHAs who are SSD
« on: May 17, 2010, 02:36:39 pm »
The good folks @ Cochlear Americas are conducting a survey for BAHA wearers who are SSD.

The survey (slated to end on 5/31/10) will help them in the research and development of new BAHA devices.

I have been in touch with the audiologist from Cochlear who is conducting the survey.  Although she asked me not to post the survey link, she'd be willing to email it to anyone who is interested.  It's about 20 questions and takes about 5 minutes.

If you currently wear a BAHA (doesn't matter which device) and are interested in participating, please email me and I'll pass your email address along to her.

If you have had the implant surgery, but are not yet wearing the device, you are ineligible for the survey (sorry, Grega)  :)

You'll find my email address in my profile.

Thanks for your help,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

grega

Re: Survey for those with BAHAs who are SSD
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 02:58:11 pm »
Hey Jan ....... just came across this .... started reading and saw a moniker with which I quickly identified (thanks for mentioning moi).  Yep, I gotta wait till mid-July at the earliest.  But all is going great .... specially after being allowed to shower baha site  ;D

Re Cochlear's survey and research, guess my timing ain't too good on this one ..... just hope it doesn't lead to a new and improved baha .... even before I can snap on mine  :(.

I would like to at least see the questions ....please send link by PM if you're allowed to.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!    ;D   
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 08:55:12 pm »
Greg -

sorry, can't send you the link.  I swore that I wouldn't give it to anyone directly - and although I'm many things, I'm not a liar  ;D

The survey is for those who are already using a BAHA device.  At the beginning you are asked which device you currently use (Intenso, Divino, BP100, etc) and then you are asked some questions about your usage.  How often you change settings, the quality of the sound you hear, etc.  Some questions ask you to rate your experience from Not at all satisfied to Completely satisfied.

While I'm glad that Cochlear is asking users for their input, I am hopeful they aren't already thinking of an upgrade to the BP100.  I hear there is an upgrade to the Intenso coming down the line, but I don't know when that might be.

I wish I would have had some input during the development of the BP100 because there a few things I would definitely change.

Although I see the reasoning behind replacing the battery door every 6 months, I also think it's just an added cost for the user that they shouldn't have to be saddled with.  I'd also make the battery removable without having to use the little magnetic wand.  The first few times my BP100 battery died I was at work and I didn't have my wand with me.  I had to wait a few hours until I got home from work before I could change the battery.  Even though I've learned my lesson and now carry my "magic" wand with me at all times, I still miss the days when I wore my Divino and battery changes were much easier.  It's not a big thing, but just something I'm not thrilled with.

It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks  ;D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

grega

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 07:32:12 am »
Okee-dokee re Cochlear's policy .... understandable.

Haven't yet looked at the stuff on battery changing, cause I was told that, if I open the Intenso box, I've bought it.  When Osseo is done integrating (baha-speak for some), I'll be able to try both Intenso & BP100 testers w/ my audio.  I'll probly choose the latter, and then they'll have to return the "purchased" Intenso, adding time before I can actually have the pleasure of using the magic wand .....  ::)

Aside .... a coworker's aunt lives in OZ and will have an MRI next week for a possible AN.  I've given him a plethora of info re this forum to make his aunt & fam less anxious and/or scared.  I know Larry is down under, but can you recall other monikers that I can also pass on?

Thanks  ;D

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

ombrerose4

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 07:49:58 pm »
Sent you an email regarding the Cochlear study,if you don't get it please let me know.Thanks!
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 05:46:07 am »
Thanks, Lauren.  I got it.

I forwarded your email address - and the email addresses of the others who have contacted me - to the audiologist @ Cochlear and asked her to send you all survey links.

Hope you hear from her soon.

Grega - Laz is the only one who comes to mind from Oz, but I'm sure there are others on the Forum.

Jan

Sam Rush

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 09:39:59 am »
The survey seems to be nothing more than a sales pitch for BAHA accessories.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 09:04:13 pm »
 ???

Sorry you feel that way.  I didn't see it that way at all.

What I got out of the survey was 1) which features of your BAHA do you regularly use?  2) what features do you like and not like?  3) do you use any of the accessories and if so, do you like them? 

No one tried to sell me anything - which IMO they would do if it were a sales pitch.

I have to say, I only own one accessory (the MP3 adapter) and I've found it to be wonderful.  I bought it when it was on sale (1/2 price, thanks for pointing that out to us, Pooter). 

Jan

ombrerose4

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 06:46:19 pm »
I didn't feel that it was a sales pitch AT ALL!. It seemed like a very basic, information gathering survey. Thanks Jan!
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010