Author Topic: I'm nine days post op and feel pretty good.  (Read 2651 times)

Eryn

I'm nine days post op and feel pretty good.
« on: May 30, 2010, 07:38:40 pm »
Not sure where to post this but here goes.  I'm nine days post op and feel pretty good.  I remember having a HUGE panic attack in the ICU, I'm prone to anxiety problems in the first place so it wasn't a surprise.  But the nurses for some reason felt they had to whisper and they were standing to my right, my AN was on my right and I lost all the hearing in that ear.  So I couldn't hear them, they couldn't understand me and I remember saying over and over that I was having a panic attack, but because of the oxy mask they couldn't understand me.  Thankfully my mom was there and she translated, the head nurse eventually got me to breath deeply and then they gave me a sedative.  I don't really remember much, some nausea, but nothing like what I was expecting.  From what they told me I thought it was going to be like five days of just being sea sick and not being able to do anything about it.  I was sick in the ICU and a bit once we got to the main room but after that nothing.  The only balance thing I really have is I feel like the world is tilted to the left, like if I put a glass or something on a table it's going to slide off.  It gets better randomly and then worse randomly, it isn't consistent, today was less tilted.  Has anyone experience this?  The world being tilted I mean, I guess I'm sort of getting used to it but it would be nice to know if it's going to go away. 

sgerrard

Re: I'm nine days post op and feel pretty good.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 12:05:48 am »
I hope you don't mind, but I thought you should post it in a new topic, so I moved it.  ;)

I'm pretty sure the world is not tilted to the left, and that you will realign with it fairly soon. Nine days is not that long. I'm glad your mom was there to translate during your panic attack, that sounds like a crazy moment to get stuck in. From the sound of it, though, you seem to be doing pretty well, except for the tilting thing.

Rest and sleeping are job one at this point, but I think you will also find that walking just enough to challenge yourself a little bit will help speed along regaining your sense of balance. Just take it easy and be patient, you will be your new self soon enough. (Not your old self, but something close).

Take care, and welcome to the forum.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

tenai98

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 05:46:05 am »
welcome to the forum Eryn
Nine days out is still early. I had a couple of vertigo episodes while in hospital...woke up, opened eyes and it looked like the bed had moved on its side.  Then I realized what was happening, closed my eyes and had a chat with my brain....not to play tricks on me...this is what I did the few times it did happen...I'm a yr out and back to 'normal' so to speak other than the SSD and loss of balance on AN side...
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 02:43:40 pm »
Hey Eryn, glad to hear things are going well for you!!! Yeah, you'll undoubtedly experience a host of side effects as you heal, things might pop up unexpectedly months down the road.  So anything that happens to you that is unusual IS usual for people like us!! Please keep us updated as you heal.  Take care and remember to rest rest rest!!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 03:11:20 pm »
Hi, Eryn - welcome - and congratulations on a successful AN surgery!

Each AN patient has a slightly different post-op experience so there really isn't an 'average' recovery scenario.  However, 'the less nausea, the better' is my motto (as of today).  I'm not a doctor, clairvoyant or even a little bit psychic but I suspect that your left-leaning perceptions will resolve, in time, but this is really a question for your doctor, who may not have a precise answer but he has a medical degree/license and will be wearing a lab coat so his response to you will, no doubt, be more reassuring than anything I might submit, here.   ;)  Seriously, I trust that your surgical recovery will continue apace...and thanks for posting.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Eryn

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 04:51:28 pm »
Thanks for starting a new topic, that does make more sense, my cognitive functions aren't what they used to be right now but I did just have my head cut open.  Yeah my only real 'side effect' I guess would be the world tilt, well and the loss of all my hearing in my right ear but I view that as a benefit.  I have talked to my doctors, there was some odd swelling a couple days post op that they think was CSF, but it's gone now.  I can't really remember what they said about the tilting, I'm just having a hard time remembering things people tell me, my ability to focus and listen is shot right now, I'm hoping that goes away soon because I'm a student and have classes starting at the end of June lol.  Thanks for all the well wishes, I'm feeling pretty good, just tired today but my body is freaking out from the steroids they have me on and that's causing me to tire easily.

sues1953

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 04:58:57 pm »
Hi Eryn,,

I am 11 days post opp and I do remember having a weird experience in the hospital.  Everything on the wall was on the floor, like I looked down and saw everything..TV. flowers, it was weird.  It only lasted a minute or less but I did tell the nurse about it and she said that the nerves have all been though alot and it will get better.  She was right  :)

Good Luck with your recovery.

Sue
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

Kaybee

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 07:36:12 pm »
Hi Eryn, congratulations on your successful surgery!  I, too, remember the strange room orientation.  I vividly recall a wall clock that showed the 9 where the 12 should be and thinking what a strange Alice in Wonderland adventure I must be having.  Thankfully, I was warned about this pre-surgery but not by my surgical team but rather a colleague who remembered waking up and seeing everyone on their side.  Your brain does adjust but plays some strange tricks in the meantime!  I don't know if I had a panic attack in the ICU but my experience sounds similar in trying to get a nurse's attention and feeling like I was screaming but most likely was just whispering.  Get plenty of rest and let others pamper you.  You have earned it! 
2 x 3 x 4 cm tumor removed at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis 10/30/09
Left facial paralyis/SSD (showed first signs of improvement at approximately 6 months post-op)