Author Topic: Not Time Yet  (Read 1575 times)

hendi51

Not Time Yet
« on: May 10, 2010, 03:59:06 pm »
My husband, Lynn, has a small AN but has always caused major problems. He lost all his hearing in his left ear, staggers like a drunk person, headaches, everything he sees jumps up and down and then he got spinning vertigo. The original plan was to do Gamma Knife because he has had a heart attack and stents put in three times after his heart attack in 2006 but the neurosurgeon said it wouldn't help his spinning vertigo. In March he failed a stress test and they did a heart cath and found a 90% blockage so put in another stent. The cardiologist cleared him for AN surgery Aprile 14th, 2010. We got an appointment with the Neuro May 24th, sure we are getting ready for surgery. However, that is not to be. Lynn had another heart attack last Tuesday, May 4th. The stent that was put in in March had a 100% blockage. It was a very wild ride. I chased 2 ambulances 70 miles over three counties but finally he got the help he needed. We live in a rural part of Arkansas and not near a major hospital so it took some time to get him to the hospital that could do the heart cath. He had excellant care and is recovering nicely. Still very weak and gets tired very easy but he is home now. It seems everytime he is getting nearer to getting the AN surgery he has other problems so we have decided the Good Lord is telling us it isn't time yet and we are going to listen to him. As uncomfortable as the symptoms are for him, they aren't life threatening. Thanks for listening to this long winded tale.
My husband had translab 3/15/2011 for 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm left side AN at
Methodist University Hospital in
Memphis, Tn

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Not Time Yet
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 04:05:24 pm »
Hi ~

I'm terribly sorry to learn of your husband's recent medical crisis but relieved to read that he is recovering, now.  I trust that when the time is right, Lynn will be able to have his AN surgery and see some relief for his vertigo and other symptoms.  Meanwhile, welcome to the forum and please feel free to ask any question because we specialize in providing both information and support. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 05:21:28 pm »
Freda .....

You and Lynn have most certainly been on a wild ride, in more ways than one.  Not the road you would have chosen, for sure.  Sometimes things are totally unexplainable.

My prayers for relief from Lynn's most uncomfortable symptoms and no more set-backs with the heart issues.  Also, prayers for strength for you, as well.  Sometimes it is even worse for the caregiver in these situations.

Best thoughts.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

lori67

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 07:03:41 pm »
Yes, I'd say this definitely has been a wild ride for you and your husband!  Let's hope the wild part settles down for you now!

Hopefully this last procedure will do the job so he can address his AN issues and get some relief from that.  Sounds like he's got a lot to deal with all at once.

We're here for you both - hang in there!!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 09:11:24 am »
I had a similar experience; a Triple Bypass in April 2008, followed by the addition of six Stents after all three of the Bypass Grafts collapsed. The last stent was put in just two months before my AN Surgery in a native vessel. In my case however, I either had the AN removed on the schedule established by my Neurosurgeon, or I probably wouldn't be sitting here adding to this thread; I had a nearly 5cm AN that had to come out...no other choice! For what its worth...I had a target on my back for a Heart condition, both of my parents had similar experiences.

My Cardiologist was reluctant to clear me for surgery so soon after the last stent and was even more reluctant to take me off the Plavix I've been taking since the bypass in preparation for Surgery. My Neurosurgeon was concerned that I'd bleed out on the table and / or suffer a stroke, also while on the operating table. He had to limit the time he kept me in surgery to avoid either circumstance. Fortunately, I made it through surgery without issue. My Heart condition was cause for concern, but was not a deal breaker when it came to working toward resolving my AN condition.

I don't know how old your husband is but, I was 50 when I had my first heart attack in December 07. Also 50 when I had my second Heart Attack and Bypass in April 08. I was 51 at the time of my AN Translab and 52 today. It sounds like your husband is doing relatively well, all things considered. I'd would think his Cardiologist and Neurosurgeon could work more closely to establish a safe baseline for his AN to be aggressively addressed.

Rambling...! I certainly hope your husband's medical team finds a safe solution. I'll keep you and Lynn in my thoughts.

Best Wishes and take care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 09:14:43 am »
So sorry for all the problems he is having I to feel it is not time yet and I am sure when it is right he will be able to go ahead with his AN issues and everything will be able to go smoothly when the time is right !

My prayers and thoughts are with you and your husband, I am sure this is difficult for you as well.

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

chatty cathy

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 11:06:33 am »
Wondering what part of Arkansas you live.  I have lived in Hope.  I have also been on a roller coaster ride.  My prayers are with you and your husband.
Diagnosed 08/2006, Doctor Gardner Little Rock, AR
Gamma Knife 05/2007, Doctor Mickey at UTSW, Dallas, TX
Translab 06/2010. Doctor Roland & Doctor Mickey UTSW

Lizard

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 11:28:59 am »
Yes a wild ride indeed.  Its good to hear Lynn is recovering and hopefully will be strong enough for surgery soon.  Its a good thinkg that the heart attach happened before the surgery as it could have been a much worse situation.  Hang in there, try to stay positive and soon you should be ready to go again.

You also mentioned that he had a small AN, so if all else he could do the GK or CK, but he may continue to have vertigo, but remember every AN is different and it is possible that once the tumor begins to die that he could have lessened vertigo.  there are also therapies that he can have after the radiation to help with this.  Just food for thought, if he's not cleared for surgery.

So don't lose hope is all I'm trying to say, take care.
Liz
 :)
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt