Author Topic: Here's the deal...  (Read 4130 times)

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
Here's the deal...
« on: July 10, 2010, 03:38:43 pm »
Okay, so I officially retired this past June.  To the MANY people who asked what I planned to do with my time, I answered that I wanted to go on adventures....and I truly meant it. I want to extend myself in new directions, even if I make a total fool of myself in the process.  If any of you read The Hobbit, Bilbo has some vague yearning for "something" and along comes a wizad who paints a sign on his door.  I want Gandalf to come along and assign me some impossible task.  WELL...  my daughter and her husband are moving to Cheyenne, Wyoming so she can teach and hubby can also find a job, maybe teaching.  My best friend and fellow adventurer from college also lives in Cheyenne, so M and Z stayed with her while they were looking for a place to live.

My friend and I struck out in the summer of "72 in her little Opal Kadette and camped all summer through the West and into Canada. We started out in Louisiana. We went to Mesa Verde, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Glacier, you name it.  We stayed with anybody we knew/were related to for the entire summer, plus a whole lot of  camping in a tent.  Lots of adventures with bears, weather, people, etc.  So-o-o-o-o, my friend's husband decided that it was time for another epic adventure.  My friend's dream was to go on a pack trip into the mountains of WY, so at the end of August, her husband is sending us off into the mountains ON HORSES to camp for 5 days! ::)

Today I went over to a friend's house here in the area and sat on her horse and learned some basics.  No, I do not know how to REALLY ride a horse.  My son is excited, my daughter is skeptical, and my husband is amused.  And I am thrilled.  Here's to many more adventures! I will have pictures and stories to tell when all is said and done, and I will be happy to let you know how it went! :P

Priscilla
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 05:33:45 pm by msmaggie »
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Here's the deal...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 03:48:38 pm »
Priscilla ~

Kudos to you for putting your spirit of adventure into action!  I'm sure it'll be a wonderful experience even if you end up a bit 'saddle sore' .;)  Looking forward to the story and the photos.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 05:35:29 pm »
I already can tell that saddles sores will loom large in the stories! :D
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

tenai98

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 06:43:39 pm »
that is awesome..can't wait to hear about the adventure..
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

lori67

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 08:27:50 pm »
I just know you'll have an amazing time and the sore bum will be worth it!   :D

This definitely sounds like an adventure.  What a great way to spend some time with a good friend.  Sounds like you'll have lots more great memories to add to the ones you already have. 

Kinda like Thelma and Louise, but promise you won't drive your horses off the cliff!  I look forward to hearing about a happy ending!   :D

Happy Trails!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 08:29:02 pm »
WOW!!  How EXCITING!!  I can't wait to hear all about it while we unpack boxes...you will be back by the middle of September, right??  Just kidding...what an opportunity for YOU!!  Maybe we should go shopping to get you ready - even if is at the surplus store or REI!!  I'm game for anything!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 06:26:42 am »
your Grand Adventure sounds great ... looking forward to pictures

if you don't ride often , I would check to see if I could find a memory foam or gel saddle pad ... the girls have old fashion made bikes with big seats that gave them saddle sores (sore butt cheeks from bike riding are kinda like saddle sores I guess ) ... they both replaced their seats ... they have gel seats but we saw memory foam ones ... the seats have made a world of difference and they ride sitting down insteas of standing on pedal all the time

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

opp2

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 11:03:29 am »
I already can tell that saddles sores will loom large in the stories! :D
hahah...I used to ride a lot as a girl. That was a long time ago...I suggest some sheep skin and learn to ride very quickly with one leg wrapped around the saddle horn so that you are not 'astride' the horse all the time. You'll have a great time!!
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

moe

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 11:42:47 am »
Good luck with your new adventure. Let us know how it goes. :)
fun, have fun...
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 05:14:20 pm »
Hm-m-m-m....memory foam is sounding really good :D.  I admit to  being a little sore after just an hour and a half in the saddle, but the big picture is that I will be with a cherished friend, looking at beautiful mountains and lakes, and breathing fresh air.  For that I will walk funny for a while ;).  Thanks for all the good wishes!
Priscilla

Keri

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 07:42:44 am »
good for you! sounds great!
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 09:45:27 am »
Priscilla,
  I'm green with envy  :)   I spent a summer doing Geology in the Wind River Range.  Wyoming has gorgeous wild wide-open spaces that only the West can provide.  You go girl!
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

suboo73

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 04:17:01 am »
Priscilla,

Congratulations on your retirement - now you have time for all those adventures you want to experience!
[I like adventures too!]

Your Wyoming trip sounds awesome...i like riding a horse, though i will admit i do not know much about it.
Took a short ride through Yellowstone back in 2001, it was great!

I can't wait to hear about your trip!
My philosophy is to go while you are able - so ENJOY!

Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 06:51:26 am »
It sounds to me like an excellent adventure, Priscilla!  I can't wait for stories - and hopefully some pictures?

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 10:22:55 am »
Maybe I should saddle up my donkey and join you ...

really though ... I know being with your friend will be worth some discomfort but being comfortable and with them would be much better ... and guess what ??? our Co-op has newfangled saddle pads to make long distance riding more enjoyable ... different ones from $35 up to $199 ... man said even sheep skin with woolly side down would work... woolly side up in winter for warm rear end ... but said with this add a bit of that non skid rug backing or shelf liner so you don't slide off ... haven't been by TSC lately so don't know what they have to offer ...I would check it out  ...

only animal we have here that is ridden is a 42 1/2  year old mule ...and only one small enough to ride her is Sarah my nearly 11 year old ... she rides her with is a towel and two dog leashes (UT orange leash and John Deere leash) clipped to her halter ... no saddle brdle or bit ...she is more like a big dog in a mule suit
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery