Author Topic: Chris Update  (Read 3055 times)

chrissmom

Chris Update
« on: May 13, 2010, 03:39:43 pm »
Hi Everyone:

There are alot of new people here but for those of you who were here 4 years ago, I would like to give you a Chris update.  To those of you who may not know Chris (dfcman), he had a large 5.3 x 5.0 cm AN 4 years ago.

He and two other young students, spent the summer of 2006 in the hospital.  Chris was a student at Penn State at the time his brain tumor was discovered.  He went through alot that summer and the friends at the forum were here for him and for me during that difficult time.

Today, I want to share with you our joy that he has graduated from college with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration and Marketing.  He completed his studies this term with a perfect 4.0 grade point average !  If you would have told me this 4 years ago, I never would have believed it.

His last MRI showed no growth of the tiny piece of the AN left.  I wanted to share this good news with all of you who were here for us.  He is on his way... Thank you ...all of you.....

jerseygirl

Re: Chris Update
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 03:46:09 pm »
Awesome news!!! Thanks for the update. Hope he continues his perfect record in a world outside of academia.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 03:54:27 pm »
Rita ~

Well, you just made my day!  :)  Thanks for sharing the wonderful news.  I'm almost as proud of Chris as if he were my own son (also named Chris and who graduated from university 8 years ago). 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 06:13:59 pm »
Rita,

Thats fantastic news.

We've unfortunately had too many "youngens" on this forum and they are the ones that i've always felt - sorry for is not the right expression, but probably annoyed is better, at having to go through all the crap that an AN throws at you. Having kids myself, I would never want them to go through what I have. So it is with enormous pride that this kind of news brings through. For young people to go through all of that adversity and then come through healthy as well as obtaining aceademic achievement is absolutely fantastic.

CONGRATS and you guys must feel so proud. Fantastic - made my day really.

cheers

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

knakag01

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 07:12:22 pm »
Such wonderful news!!! Congrats to Chris and thank you for sharing.
Kim
1.9cm x 1.2cm AN Right side
Diagnosed 11/09
Translab with Dr. Jackler @ Stanford on 5/20/10
Facial Paralysis (temp) & SSD Right side, some balance issues but not as bad as I thought :)

lori67

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 07:52:08 pm »
What a proud mom!  And you have every reason to be!  That is awesome news and I'm sure he'll continue to do amazing things that will make you proud!

Thanks for sharing your good news with us.  It's always so nice to hear of someone who doesn't let an AN stop them.

Tell Chris congratulations!   ;D ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 08:18:34 pm »
Chrismom:

Now that's the kind of story that makes me feel warm inside.

Thanks for sharing.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 05:58:32 am »
Congratulations to Chris on this great accomplishment  ;D

Thanks for this wonderful update.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 07:07:43 am »
Thanks so much for sharing this good news of a wonderful example of positive things in a life after an AN.  Being diagnosed with an AN as a young person would have to be far more devastating than in someone my age, so it is such a joy to see that Chris has surmounted incredible difficulties and come out a winner!

Best thoughts and prayers for a continued upward journey.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

sues1953

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 07:48:11 am »
Wow what great news.  You must be so proud.  Thank you for sharing with us, it really means a lot to those who knew what Chris was going through and to those of us who are in the middle of our battles.

He has his wheels now watch him roll  :)

Best Regards,

Sue
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

Lizard

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 10:56:08 am »
That is fantastic news and although I was not here on the forum when his journey began I'm sure it was tough with such a large AN.  I'm so happy for you and him and you must be so proud!

Congrats to Chris!

Take care,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

sunfish

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 11:10:03 am »
Yup, a bright note on a so-so Friday.  Congratulations especially to you, mom, - all that hard work over the years paid off.  I know, I've got 5 grown kids myself!
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 04:33:04 pm »
Rita:  WHOO HOO !!  Give Chris my congratulations !!  This is wonderful news !!  What a smart guy, 4.0 average, with all he's been through.  Does he realize what a strong man he is ???   I am very impressed.
Very happy to hear no growth on the AN !
Give Chris my love,  Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

chelsmom

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 04:06:16 pm »
Hi Rita,

Congratulations to all of you...especially you Chris.  Chelsea told me that you graduated and keeps me up to date with your progress and what's happening in your world.  You all have to be so proud.  I agree with you Rita, who would have ever dreamed that this happy time was even possible only 4 years ago.  I hope you are all celebrating for months and years to come.

Here's to you all!
Michelle