Author Topic: beachman is home  (Read 1134 times)

beachman

beachman is home
« on: May 15, 2010, 08:09:29 am »
Hi everyone,  Sorry I haven't checked in. WOW I can't believe it has been 2 weeks since my husband's surgery.  I am still up to my ears in alligators it seems.  It's amazing that I am so exhausted after all this and I didn't even have the surgery!! Mike had surgery at House with Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz and made out fantastic.  His tumor was 3.5cm x 2.5 x 2.3.  He had already lost hearing in the right ear, could only hear loud sounds but he did not realize it as he had been compensating for a while.  They did a translab approach and no deficits and were able to get all the tumor.  Mike has to do PT because he had balance issues prior because of his head injury 20 years ago.  He still has headaches which Extra Strength Tylenol or Advil take care of but he is soooooo tired.  Napping several times a day.  Every day he does a little bit more. When we went to House he was on a walker but now is not and his walk has not looked this good in years.  We are all very excited.  Am still fighting with BC/BS DE over the BAHA.  What a pain!! 

Lizard

Re: beachman is home
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 08:41:01 am »
Well this is fantastic news, I hope he continues the recovery journey with no interruptions.
Take care,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 10:27:48 am »
Wonderful news! I share your joy!

Take it easy with the OTC pain killers. I used Tylenol after my surgery & ended up with rebound headaches. Had to get an rx to get off of Tylenol. That stuff will kill your liver.

Keep us posted.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

laurenfor29

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 05:05:28 pm »
i am ready to have surgery on june 28 and it is great to hear about ur positive recovery,, hugs prayers and best wishes,,, thanks again for giving me hope

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 08:31:57 am »
Don't give up on the fight for the insurance coverage of the BAHA.  The BAHA is WELL worth it.

And keep in mind that most insurance companies deny the request the first time, so be persistent and don't take no for an answer.

If you need suggestions on how to fight your insurance company there is some great information on the Cochlear website (www.cochlearamericas.com)

Good luck!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways