Author Topic: complete hearing loss post cyberknife treatment  (Read 3095 times)

Karinpaul

complete hearing loss post cyberknife treatment
« on: June 01, 2010, 12:52:15 pm »
Has anyone had complete hearing loss in both ears 2 months after having 3 cyberknife treatments.   Went to bed being able to hear and woke up totally deaf in both ears.   Had good hearing in Right ear and limited hearing in the left ear, which is where the acoustic neuroma was located... ???

FlyersFan68

Re: complete hearing loss post cyberknife treatment
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 01:57:39 pm »
There is something called sypathetic hearing loss. I remember reading about this long ago. I'm not sure if this is what you have but whether it is or isn't you need to go see your otalaryncologist. I believe hearing does return but permanent loss is a real possibility. Time is of the essence. If I remember correctly it has something to do with our immune system attacking the healthy inner ear cells following treatment or any disease that destroys hearing such as AN. Please seek immediate help.

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 02:06:55 pm »
Did you immediately contact your dr so as to be put on steroids to help return the hearing in many cases?    The swelling can be the case for the AN side but other side should be checked out also.          I don't think this is a very common happening.     I have not had radiation so not the expert.                                     Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 05:33:39 pm »
Hi KarinPaul and welcome.

I can share that approx, a few months post-CK, there was diminished hearing loss in my AN ear with slight "fullness" feeling in my non-AN ear.  I informed my radio-onc and neuro-onc (who follows me post-CK) and they put me on anti-inflammatories to help keep any edema (swelling) in check. My hearing issued resolved itself shortly thereafter and my hearing has remained at the same level, pre-CK.

My suggestion is to inform your CK radio-onc or neuro-onc (who should be following you, post-CK), make them aware of the issue to see if they recommend a possible round of anti-inflammatories or... if need be, order an MRI to see if there is any swelling going on.

Another suggestion is to check with the docs on the CK Patient Support Site (www.cyberknife.com). They volunteer their time and energy to answer patient questions and there is a section there for "Acoustic Neuroma"

Hang in there... again, welcome.. .and please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

mk

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 06:46:03 pm »
Hi KarinPaul,

I am very sorry for your hearing loss. I have never heard of hearing being lost from the good ear, but it is very common to have sudden hearing loss in the AN affected ear, both pre and post radiation. As the others have said time is of the essence. Please contact your doctors ASAP - usually a course of steroids can help resolve the loss, at least partially. The sooner you take them the more likely it is for the hearing to return.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.