Author Topic: hey there.  (Read 2417 times)

satman

hey there.
« on: June 06, 2010, 08:20:04 am »
just wanted to drop in and say hi, some of you know me and some dont. i had stepped away as i was trying to put all of this behind me but no such luck, lol !
i hope everyone is doing well / the best you can, as for me, i'm getting along ok.
right now i still have no facial movement,ssd,drink from straw,no blink reflex and only have about 80% balance but hey, things could be worse.
i was shaving the other day and noticed that my AN eyelid was fluttering/pulling, which i take to be a good thing as i havent had any movement since the surgery in 07 , if anything it gives me hope.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 08:31:53 am by satman »
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
Re: hey there.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 09:56:40 am »
Excellent news that your eyelid shows improvement. Those little signs of improvement are what I live for. In my case it's my balance, wonky head, and headaches.

I find it impossible to put all this behind me. It gets easier to deal with the new me and all that it entails, but so often I find my life affected by headaches, balance issues, hearing difficulties, etc. So how can we put it behind us? We have to take it one day at a time.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

satman

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 10:09:37 am »
Syl you are so correct "it gets easier to deal with the new me".
i just took a stroll down memory lane reading my intial posts and all i can say is WOW what a different world that was back then.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 11:27:46 am »
Hi John:  so good to hear from you.  FLUTTERING/PULLING ON A PARALYZED SIDE ??!!!!!!
That goes against the word "paralyzed" !!!    That is great news !!!

I still have paralysis but am open to miracles !!  Meanwhile enjoying life to the fullest !!
& yes,  what a difference a 'few years' makes....

Let me know if this continues for you.  Remember,  give it time,  seems like some nerves are slower than others (lol).

Always good thoughts,   Nancy
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 11:31:26 am by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 11:33:01 am »
Hey Satman,

So nice to hear from you!!!  I find it amusing that to read you are "getting along ok" because when ever I'm asked how I am doing I respond "ok".  It is almost 4 years since my facial neuroma was debulked and I am still suffering from massive headaches and facial pain.  "OK" is so much better than "not to good" when asked.  I think to really understand what any of us have been through is to walk in our shoes literally.  Some are very lucky and have no real issues other than SSD, but others battle every day with headaches, facial paralysis, balance issues and depression. 

Getting use to the "new me" is very difficult when I have changed so drastically and I am reminded of it everyday by either my husband or sons.  I haven't worked outside the home in over 2 years, because of headaches and facial pain.  I feel a part of my heart and soul was removed during the surgery because the Dr had no idea I had a facial neuroma when he operated.  Since he wasn't prepared, I wasn't prepared.  It was a very lonely journey the first year after surgery and it wasn't until I found this forum I got educated very quickly I understood I wasn't alone.  Hindsight is 20/20!

Take care and don't be a stranger,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 11:44:48 am »
WELCOME BACK Satman Super EIGHT!  8)
 :-* :-* :-* :-*

I SOOOH missed you. :'(

I am very glad you are back... the forum has not been the same  :-\ without you. Last month my upper lip was twitching like crazy- this month we are seeing movement. Yup almost at 3 years and nerve regenration is still happening. It is like watching a slug cross a tennis court in the rain... (It is raining again here in the Pacific Northwest and I feel like a banana slug)

DHM (the old "4")

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

satman

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 12:06:07 pm »
even though i have been absent from the forum not a day goes by without thinking of you guys.
to my buddy 4- its great to hear that your getting some nerve action , AWESOME ! 
Nancy-yea im getting some weird fluttering and pulling on my crazy side, gotta be good right ?
starting to get a little freaked out because last week it was fluttering and pulling like crazy and for the last two days its done nothing so confusion has set in.
yardtick-whats the doc say about the headaches ? it just never seems to end   >:(

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 01:26:59 pm »
Hey, John!

It's good to see you posting again - although I'm sorry all of your post-op issues haven't completely resolved.  I always liked your attitude and believe that is a significant factor for any AN patient dealing with post-op problems as they attempt to regain normalcy.  The slight movement (eyelid fluttering) you've noticed is a good indication of things to come.  Obviously, you've found the necessary patience to help you deal with these problems and I expect that will pay off in the near future.  Incidentally, your 8 cm AN stands as one of the biggest ever recorded on these forums so the fact that you're dealing with post-op complications is hardly shocking, although, like you, I very much wish that wasn't the case. 

I'm also one who doesn't believe we can ever really put our AN experience 'behind us'.  Even with a good surgical outcome, my AN experience (4 years ago this week) is still an important fact of my life.  However, I don't allow the minor impediments it caused to impact my daily existence.  Although being SSD is an undeniable nuisance, that pales in comparison with the travails some AN patients endure.  Partly because I experienced a good surgical/radiation outcome, I try to inform, encourage and support other AN patients via these forums.  I think its the least I can do.  It costs me nothing and allows me to help others with this relatively rare tumor.  If nothing else, my good outcome can be encouraging to those newly diagnosed, facing surgery and/or radiation and worrying about what will happen to them (a very normal concern).  I expect that one fine day you'll be doing something similar - and I look forward to seeing that.  :)

Jim       
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 09:50:00 pm »
Thanks for remembering us - and for checking in - Satman.

It's good to hear from you.

Haven't been around myself much lately.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

satman

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 03:03:49 pm »
thanks everybody and i look forward to helping out around here if i can.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 06:01:16 pm »
Satman,

Dr keeps trying different combination of meds.  I have been really suffering since Sunday, at least I think it is because of the unsteady weather system that has hit our area. 

Take care,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games