Author Topic: Anyone shaky post op?  (Read 3869 times)

Eryn

Anyone shaky post op?
« on: June 08, 2010, 07:36:56 pm »
So I'll be three weeks post op on Thursday, June 10th.  I've noticed that I'm pretty shaky, like my hands tremble constantly.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Overall I feel great, especially since I had brain surgery.  I've started driving, not really far just to the grocery store down the street and back.  My balance is still a bit off but with time and PT it will get better.  I lost all the hearing in my right ear and it won't be coming back but I don't really notice it much.  The only thing that's bothering me is the tremors, it's really hard to write and my handwriting before surgery wasn't that great.  Eating can be difficult and I almost don't trust myself to hold fragile things in case I drop them or my hand shakes really bad and I drop it.  So yeah wondering if anyone else has experienced this and about how long it took for it to go away?

Lizard

Re: Anyone shaky post op?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 07:41:50 pm »
Wonder what this could be related to?  Steroids or another medication you are still on?  I would mention it to your Dr.  better to be safe than sorry.
Hope the shakes let up soon and congrats on feeling well enough to drive  :D
Take care,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Eryn

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 08:41:31 pm »
Stopped the steroids on the 30th, and the other meds I'm taking I've been taking for years, never had the shakes before.  I've been trying to get a hold of my doc and it's proving to be very difficult. 

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 09:55:59 pm »
Never had this post op, but hope it goes away soon.

Please keep us posted.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cin605

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 09:27:49 am »
I had this post op....dropped everything.....had to get anew set of dishes....stared using plastic to be safe.
Take it easy and do not over do it...i noticed it more when i was trying to hurry through things ......for some reason i was always hurrying everything post op...even walking i would be walking very fast and who ever was w/ me would not be able to keep up.
If you typ in dropping things in the search box you'll see an old thread on dropping things and handwriting. :)
Also search Shaking youll find many post .....i would still let your dr kno....but i bellieve this is fairly common....i think you will get many more replies.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 09:37:19 am by cin605 »
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

satman

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 04:05:25 am »
i still have tremors in my left hand 3 years post
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 04:23:18 am »
Coming up on five years and my hands shake.....just one of the "little" things we deal with!

Satman, how are you doing?

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 06:58:11 am »
I get the shakes at least once or twice a week, so it isn't constant, the Dr says it is probably because of working 3 shifts and blood pressure meds. (I didn't have high blood pressure before surgery).  If you have high blood pressure and the meds aren't working exactly the way they should it could be the cause.  Do you have high blood pressure?  There are a few of use here that got high blood pressure shortly after surgery. 

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

sues1953

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 11:10:49 am »
WE must have had surgery at the same time.  I am not having any issues with shaking, but from what others have said here it is not uncommon.  I certainly do hope that it goes away.  I am having a hard time with SSD, I went from 100% to nothing.  I am not sure if the Tinnitis is louder or it is because thats all I hear in that ear.  Driving is a really good thing.  I am taking short trips myself.  Good luck and speedy recovery to you.

Sue
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 11:32:31 am »
Dan,

I thought that was strange about the blood pressure.  Mine has always been very low, now I take meds for it...happened right after the surgery.

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 10:34:31 pm »
I don't know if I would say I had tremors, more of just being weak on the right side.  I couldn't write for a least 4 weeks, if I did, it was very difficult and looked awful.  I had problems just holding my cup of water or grasping at things.  It took me at least 2 months before my tpying was back to normal.
You might mention it the doctor's office though and see what they say.  I know I was weak for quite awhile.
Good luck and I hope things improve.
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 02:31:00 pm »
i had this post op for a few month
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Tracy Lynn

• If you are going through hell, keep going.
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 11:51:18 pm »
I have noticed that it's rare, but my right wrist shakes. It's usually when I'm tired, so I've always tied it to that. At first I did have a hard time writing anything.
Right ear, 3.5 cm  Diagnosed 3-23-10 pre-op symptoms: 90% loss of hearing, headaches, Tinnitus.
Translab surgery 5-18-10
Post-op symptoms: SSD, Tinnitus, wonky-head
BAHA implant: 9-2-10

*Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end.*

jerseygirl

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 07:48:46 pm »
Hi,

I was shaky post op, that is my right arm shook when I attempted to do something. It completely cleared in 9 months and was replaced by weakness and incoordination. Now 3 years post-op I my handwriting is very decent and still improving. The shaking is called intention tremors and this is caused by the damage to the cerebellum which ANs can very much impact.

Eve

Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

satman

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 05:43:52 am »
Satman, how are you doing?

Brenda

sorry for the late response brenda- I'm doing allright and have really put my AN journey behind me the best i can.
now I have just accepted the fact that the SSD,no blink reflex and the dead face is just the way it is, life goes on. just my 0.02
how have you been ?
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !