Author Topic: New here. I *may* have a AN???  (Read 2685 times)

nono27

New here. I *may* have a AN???
« on: June 25, 2010, 06:37:31 pm »
So I have been feeling VERY confused lately. I am hoping someone here might be able to help me more than I feel any doctors are at this point!
I will start at the beginning. I felt this lump near my ear about a year ago now with a lot of pain near that area. I went to my PCP who, without feeling the lump, looked in my ear and said "ear infection here are some antibiotic drops". Took the drops, no relief, went back and had a CT done. CT showed nothing so I was sent on my way. Fast forward 8 months and the pain begins to become more unbearable with loss of feeling in my face and occasional loss of hearing in my left ear (where the lump is)... the lump is also feeling bigger at this point. I made an appointment with an ENT. He orders a CT with contrast to be done. That comes back all clear so he told me it must be TMJ and I should just see my oral surgeon. I go to my oral surgeon who says he feels the lump, sees nothing on the CT that was done, but he recommends exploratory surgery to see what the lump is. However, since he can't do surgery in a hospital, he refers me to another oral surgeon who would be able to do an exploratory surgery. When I met with the new oral surgeon he told me he wanted an MRI done. SO I did the MRI about 2 months ago. After a ton of back and forth with the radiology dept. and the new oral surgeon, he finally sees me again (I was on vacation for some of that time, but alot of that time was him going back and forth with the radiologist) at this latest appointment I had with him he says "I think you have a neuroma, I am sending you to a new doctor". So I got a call from a new doctor today who wants to see me in a week and a half... come to find out he is another Oral surgeon!?! he has D.M.D after his name. Does this seem right if they *think* I have a neuroma???
I feel so confused right now and I just wish I was in the hands of a more capable doctor!! Also, would I be FEELING a neuroma?? the lump I feel is basically right in front of my left ear, just below my jaw joint.
Thanks for ANY input or help!

opp2

Re: New here. I *may* have a AN???
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 09:14:59 pm »
neuroma = a tumour oma of the nervous system. It could be quite likely you have a benign tumour of somewhere in your jaw/mandible. You never know, til you speak to to your surgeon. Most AN develop within the skull and are not palpable by touch from the outside. If your lump is under your jaw line or behind your ear it could very well be a cystic kind of tumour pressing on some nerves and causing some pain. Were I you, which I aint, I'd try to sit tight until you see the new doctor.

I looked at my MRI as soon as I got home from having it done. No consult nothing. I then started searching ear tumours (my looked like it came from my ear). I was lucky that I was able to find the term Acoustic Neuroma before I was actually diagnosed or I'd likely have had a fit.

Hang in there. I wish you the best, and the patience and strength to endure the wait to see the doctor.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

nono27

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 09:45:05 pm »
thank you for responding :) I definitely do hate the waiting game... I need to work on my patience. I just feel like I am not seeing the right doctor if they think I have a neuroma. The lump is right in front of my ear, next to/just below my jaw joint... so I think that is why the ENT said go to an oral surgeon, probably thinking it had something to do with TMJ. I guess I just got confused when my current oral surgeon told me he is referring me to another oral/maxilofacial doctor if he thinks this is a nerve tumor..... I know I just need to be patient and see what this new doctor has to say.
Thanks again for any insight or experience!!

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 12:34:36 am »
Hey nono, yes...the hardest part IS waiting.  THere are a lot of members on here who went a lot of rounds with doctors and tests and whatnot before being accurately diagnosed with having AN.  But Opp was correct, our AN's can't be felt physically. Just a few symptoms letting us all know something was wrong, like hearing loss, balance issues, and tinnitus.  Good luck with this, and let us know what turns up!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston