Author Topic: Movies & Headaches?  (Read 9731 times)

FLsunshine

• A journey of a 1000 miles starts with one step
Movies & Headaches?
« on: May 22, 2011, 02:37:12 pm »
Hi All -

I searched the archives and couldn't find any thing on this topic so am posting to see if what I'm going through today is just a coincidence or if others have expereinced it.

Last night went to the movies... first time in a really long time since we usually just do the movie-popcorn thing at home.  Not 15 minutes into the movie I started having excruiating jaw pain (on both sides) and then wonky head feeling and headaches the rest of the time.  I wanted to leave mid way through but we had the kids so I grinned and beared it.  After the movie, my jaw pain almost immediately went away and a slight headache lingered.  Woke up this am feeling like I had a hangover... head and slight "offness" of the room which when I focused really hard it went away.  Thought that was the end of it but within a few hours I have experienced excruitating headache pain in the back of my head.  All I can say is that its not just the headache pain... I feel very weak and very bad.  The only thing that helps is sitting still and laying down like I'm doing right now.

So... anyone else have movie theaters trigger this type of experience?

Suzanne
3mm AN diagnosed in 2006
w&w with escalating symptoms
slow growth - at 4mm in 2010

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Movies & Headaches?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 02:50:32 pm »
Suzanne ~

This is something new (to me, anyway).  I'm sorry to learn about your terrible discomfort at what should have been a pleasurable experience (movies).  It seems to be related to the sight/motion factor inherent in a large-screen motion picture - but I'm just making wild speculation here.  I'm curious to see if any other ANers have had this experience.  Whether or not they have, I would suggest putting in a call to your doctor to ask about this.  It probably isn't deleterious to your health but it is an experience you would obviously wish to avoid.   I'll be watching the thread to see if this is anything common or an anomaly.  I suspect its the latter - but we'll soon find out. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kraynok2

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 07:00:39 pm »
Suzanne,
  I've not experienced this, but I agree with Jim that you should give your doctor a call.  It may be nothing, but it doesn't hurt to check.  I hope all turns out well for you.
Sandy

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 09:56:05 pm »
This is something new to me, too.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

FLsunshine

• A journey of a 1000 miles starts with one step
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 08:42:51 am »
Thanks guys -

Seems to be a new one for this forum (ha! lucky me).  Doc says he has heard of it in terms of irritating the ear and tinnitus that I've already got going on... very loud noises can do this + my balance issues and fast moving action scenes can trigger dizziness and headaches.  Which it certainly did.  No more big screen movies for me.  I'll stick to our comfy couch, popcorn and pizza night with the family.

Suzanne
3mm AN diagnosed in 2006
w&w with escalating symptoms
slow growth - at 4mm in 2010

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 10:44:47 am »
I'll take a guess. When I took PT, I paid a lot of attention to what made me wonky. My eyes are the key to my balancing. With my eyes closed, I can barely walk without loosing my balance. If I walk the dog late at night, I wander all over the street, super-wonky. During the day, no problem. Have to pee at night, get out the flash light or I'll fall down or trip over myself. Driving was impossible right after surgery, because my eyes were being used to balance, not to view things. If I turned my head left and right at a stop sign, I might not see a car, because my eyes were looking for horizontal lines to balance.

Here is my guess. At home you are in front of a small screen, and your eyes are balancing you while you view the screen. You can see the horizontal lines of the TV, and other items in the room...no problem. Go to the big screen and all you can view is this big moving picture, with nothing to balance you. Maybe you gritted your teeth while you were watching. It's like when the shark is going to eat the kid during the movie, and you grip the chair arms. When the movie is over, your jaw pain is gone, you are locating horizontal lines to balance, and you start feeling better.

Try this. Close your eyes and stand on one foot, then try it with your eyes open. With some help, close your eyes and walk 20', turn around and walk back to the beginning. Walk with your eyes open. Turn your head to the left and then the right and keep your arms tight against your side. Go into a large closet, close the door and block all the light at the bottom of the door.

I'll bet you grit your teeth when you do this.

James

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 10:51:50 am »
Suzanne:

How close were you to the screen. When I go to the movies, I have to sit back a ways so that I don't look up and end up straining the back of my neck.

I always keep Tylenol in my purse for occassions like this.

Syl
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 10:53:29 am by Syl »
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

RichB57

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 05:03:31 pm »
As someone who has a history of heart problems in the family, I know jaw pain is an indication you are having a heart attack.  Usually it's accompanied by tightness or pain in the center of the chest, rather than headache, but sometimes there is no chest pain.  You really should see a doctor as soon as possible.
Diagnosed 12/1/2010, 12.3 mm x 15.2 mm x 15.2 mm, retrosigmoid removal by Drs. Barker & Lee at MGH on April 20, 2011. Lost blood supply to auditory nerve, so SSD. Facial paralysis.

jrummi

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 08:10:28 am »
I'm sorry your going through that.  I have had many issues with jaw pain/ear pain and the entire facial nerve.  I have had a craniectomy to remove a bone spur in my skull almost 3 months ago and since that sugery all my muscles and nerves in my face go nuts.  I don't know if you have yours on a constant basis, but what I find to help me is taking a valuim at night and putting biofreese/heating pad on my face.  I am still trying to figure out all my pains, but, if I put the biofreeze on all over my face/neck (even underneath hairline) then put a wet cold washclothe and laying down seems to help.   I know it sounds ridicuous.  I was told I grind my teeth so they seem to think I suffer from TMJ but, I cannot do anything for another week  or so. 

If you are starting to stress yourself out over these issues (my husband tells me that he thinks I tense up more when I get these spasms) it may help make it worse, however, I am still unable to figure out the balance.   But with everything you have been going through, this may be the new way your body reacts to stress.  I also work in front of a computer all day, which posture issues can add to it as well   I hope maybe this helps.  I will take any suggestions as well.