Author Topic: disabled after surgery  (Read 3055 times)

jeffs_4077

disabled after surgery
« on: July 02, 2006, 01:26:00 pm »
hi everyone, I had a large AN micro sergicaly removed 12/7/05. I've had alot of post-op problems and have'nt been able to work. I'm 44 with a wife and 3 teenagers. My income was cut in half, and we are living off disability insurance. Have many of you AN survivers gone through this ?     thanks Jeff

Battyp

Re: disabled after surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 02:12:19 pm »
I'm right there with you only I'm the only money earner in the house.  I'm getting 60% of my pay from LTD which isn't enough to cover all the bills but will keep my roof over my head....will have to cut out things like food  LOL 

Some are able to go back some aren't.  You might want to apply for ssd and at vocational rehab to receive training to help get you employeed again.  What is it you did? 

Michelle

Raydean

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 02:56:44 pm »
Hi Jeff

I'm was alittle older then yourself when I had a large tumor removed (6cm) with outcomes that also put me in the disabled catagory.  It's alot of issues to deal with. alot of losses. The tumor, outcomes and medical, plus loss of identity in who we are when we no longer have a job, financial losses, too many stresses that  can directly have a negative effect not only on ourselves but also on those closest to us. It's difficult to find our way and the right direction to take.  It can be overwhelming.  

Things that worked for us.  On days when the big picture was to much, it helped to list the problems by need.  

Starting with the most important, then working on down to the lesser things.   Focusing on one thing at a time helped to get me going.

Talk to your family, don't shut them out, work together..  Early on my wife stated that she had no idea what direction we were headed in, but we were going as a family!  There was alot of trial and error but we hung in there.  When everything was said and done.  I credit the doctors with saving my life, my wife and family for giving me back my  life.

Surprisingly  a good source of information on what programs are available within the community
that might be of help was a person within the agency on aging.   These people know everything!!
See what's out there that might be of help.

I think the financial concerns were the hardest to face.  I felt I was letting my family down.  Like you our finances was downsized by more then half.  My job had the health insurance benefits which we also lost.  Again, this is a family issue that needs to be discussed.  My wife was employed at the time and still continues to work which is what has helped the most.  Working together on where to cut expenses, and just talking it thru.  You mention Disability Insurance, is this private insurance or Social Security Disability?  You might want to also consider appling for SSD.

Jeff, hang in there, you're not alone and I do understand how you're feeling.  If I can be of help please feel free to email me.

Best to you
Chet

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 07:27:56 pm »
Jeff,
Chet and Raydean have helped me tremendously! 
I finally after months of struggling have my doctors on the same page thanks to an idea from raydean!  Also, keep a log of how you feel everyday!  My attorney told me the same thing...heard it first from raydean :o)  I'd apply for ssd too.  It's a tough process but doable.  It will provide you payments for you and your children not to mention some health coverage.

Know we are here to help you!

M

nannettesea

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 10:14:06 pm »
Jeff,
I'm 10 1/2 months post op and unable to work due to disabling dizziness.  I'm now on appeal for disability.  Thank goodness you have some income.  My husband is having to support me and with medical bills, alternative treatments very tough.  What are your problems?
P.S.  You can add in your "signature" size of tumor, type of surgery, where you had it etc.  This gives us all a little background.
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

Patti

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 08:08:42 am »
I am now 43.  I had surgery at the age of 38 for a 4 cm tumor.  Complications but I have eventually accepted the changes.  I never had a problem getting social security disability.  I lost my carreer and income as a teacher, but we have adjusted.  The best thing is that I was able to be around alot more to get my 2 teenagers thru adolescence-still trying.  Maybe it was easier to accept because I am a woman and there was less of a stigma attached to being home-but we know the importance of having a dad around!!!!!  Patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 03:29:49 pm »
I'm 3 1/2 years post-op and right now on my 2nd appeal for SSD due to headaches, medication reactions, and now a orthopedic problem incurred while trying to find a way to amke a living while lying in bed with a headache.  i really can spell and p[uncuate better, but typing w left hand. 
my headaches sort of go in cycles, but i can work a little between cycles, but not right now cuz of arm problem.  see thread on post an surg headaces survet.
capt deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW