Author Topic: Writing a Book - - Looking for Stories and Quotes  (Read 6234 times)

Keri

Re: Writing a Book - - Looking for Stories and Quotes
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 06:43:44 am »
Hi Debbi,

How is the book coming along? I'm glad you've gotten some good material from the forum. I look forward to reading it. Like Clarice, I feel like my AN experience, while challenging, is not terribly eventful. Leading up to my surgery, I was informed but uninformed enough not to be terrified of the actual surgery! My husband kept saying, "don't you realize how serious this is?" I guess I was blissfully unaware. If I had to go back in for major surgery again, I'd be a bit more scared!

I can send you something if you still need material, but I feel like my adjustment / life changing moments of dealing with 'something big' have come in dealing with my first daughter's autism (a life long process) and my youngest daughter's battle with depression (one of the most life changing, traumatic, shocking things I've ever dealt with - but it has gotten much better). If you're getting into more of the mental realm (maybe for your sequel!) let me know, and I could share boatloads.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

steph28

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 08:35:36 am »
Hi Debbi

I thought I'll give you my experience of when I was first told I had an AN. I'm sure my feeling's were wrong in some way, but its how I reacted.

Over the years I had gone back and forth to my GP about hearing issues and ear infections, but he never referred me as he said it wasn't an ENT issue. After I'd moved and changed GP my new GP referred me to an ENT doctor who in return arranged for an MRI.

I knew they had found something because they asked me back the next day for a further scan and the day after that I received a letter from the ENT doctor saying that he needed to see my as I had a swelling on the hearing nerve. I then search the internet for swelling on the hearing nerve, which come up with loads of possabilities. Cancer being one of them. So I thought the worse.

My partner and dad came with me to the hospital. After the ENT doctor had told me I had an AN and I had confirmed with him that is wasn't cancer I was so happy, which both my partner and Dad couldn't understand. I was told that I would have to have the op due to the size and I would most likely loss the hearing in my ear and I may experience a couple of weeks of facial problems, but my face should return to normal. It was only the next day when I went on the internet did it actual hit me what I was facing so to speak.

Anyway I have had the op. Now deaf in my right ear with an intact facial nerve, but a very upset facial nerve with very little movement 7 months on. Having GK in 6 months time for the remaining part.

I cant lie when I say this experience has changed me as a person. My out look on life has changed and I would like to think that even though the worse happened to me I am a more positive person for it.

I wish you luck in writting you book. And wish you well

Steph
x

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 01:06:14 pm »
Thank you both, Steph and Keri.  Every story is welcome at this stage.  I am up to about 75 pages of what I plan on being about 100 pages total.  Then comes the job of getting it published!   :) :)
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

opp2

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 11:07:29 am »
My thought is this....Did anyone get the licence plate of that truck that hit me? Did you get it when it backed up and hit me again??
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 06:46:06 am »
Hey Opp -

Well, I didn't get the license number, but if you get it would you let me know?  I think the same truck hit me!  ;D

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com