Author Topic: Surgery vs. radiation  (Read 1858 times)

formula30

Surgery vs. radiation
« on: July 30, 2010, 12:57:50 pm »
I am having kind of a dilemna now......my acoustic neuroma, right side, is 19mm, it is causing me some balance problems, not too bad, some headaches...tinnitus, but I have not lost that much of my hearing in the right ear.....good news.  I went to see the doctor today, he said, I could wait and see, or surgery or radiation.  Now there are pros and cons to everything, he said radiation is less likely to cause the facial problems......but if I had radiation and then required surgery later, it would we more likely to cause facial problems........a concern because I know they come back.  The surgery makes me very nervous........long recuperation, possible facial problems, csf.  I am 51 and in relatively good health, and now need to make a decision......any input would be appreciated.  The radiation would probably be FSR......and the surgery would be retrosigmoid.  I have alot of confidence in the doctors.......but of course they can't make this decision for me. 

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Surgery vs. radiation
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 01:25:35 pm »
I have alot of confidence in the doctors.......but of course they can't make this decision for me. 

Formula -

you hit the nail on the head with this comment.  Treatment decisions are a personal choice that you should make after weighing the pros and cons of each procedure and the possibility of side-effects associated with them. 

Watch & wait is a good option for some, but a lot depends on your personality.  I know that I am not the type of person who would be comfortable with it, but others are perfectly fine.  The important things with watch & wait are 1) the AN needs to be regularly monitored for growth, and 2) if your symptoms get worse or you come up with new ones you should re-examine your decision.

After seriously considering radiation and surgery - and saying I'd never have surgery - I decided that radiation wasn't for me (personal choice, here) because I just wanted the dang thing out of my head so I could get on with my life.  I'm a very black & white type person and I didn't want to wait and see if the tumor was going to die.  I also didn't want to wait to see what side-effects I might encounter.

I went into the surgery knowing everything that "might" happen and deciding that I'd just deal with whatever "did" happen.  This worked very well for me - but I can't stress enough that this is me and my comfort level. 

I had the retrosigmoid approach - left me SSD, but other than that no other permanent issues.  I had massive nausea, slight facial nerve damage, and double vision for a few days post op, but thankfully that was it.  I had a few "minor" issues like dry eye and mouth, metallic mouth, and balance issues for a short time, but nothing that I found insurmountable.  The typical time frame for recuperation after surgery is 6 weeks, but every patient is different. 

Go with your "gut".  In my experience you'll know when you've made the choice that is right for you.  This goes with selecting your doctors, as well as with deciding on your treatment.

Good luck; it's not an easy decision.  But the good news is, it's often one of the hardest hurdles on your AN Journey.

Best,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 04:00:13 pm »
formula30 ~

Your dilemma is one shared by the majority of those diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma.  Sometimes, I consider myself fortunate to have been diagnosed when my AN had grown too large to be considered for radiation.  No decision to make, just have the surgery, ASAP.  Three months later I underwent radiation so, in a way, I experienced both approaches to acoustic neuroma treatment.  Happily, both the (retrosigmoid) surgery and the radiation (FSR) were effective and, much like Jan ('leapyrtwins'), I suffered no lasting deficits.  Due to my procrastination, I was SSD prior to the AN diagnosis, making that a non-issue as I contemplated surgery.  However, your predicament: deciding what kind of treatment to have, what doctor(s) to employ and where to have the treatment, is not so easily resolved. 

Yes, AN removal surgery does carry inherent risks and involves a hospital stay (approximately 5 days) and other inconveniences.  Of course, thousands of AN patients have undergone surgery with few complications, but, while the risks cannot be denied, they should not be allowed to override good judgment.  As Jan pointed out, for her, having the tumor out of her head was her paramount concern, so, although she first thought radiation was best, she changed her mind and went for the surgery, which was successful and, aside from the SSD, which she knew was a possibility, going in, Jan experienced only temporary complications.  Her story (and mine) are not at all uncommon with AN surgery patients.  However, some do experience post-op problems that can be daunting.  That has to be understood, which is why you're asked to sign a statement that legally proves you've been advised of the risks, prior to the surgery. Same with radiation treatment.  Irradiation carries some risks, although often of a different kind and the potential problems don't always manifest themselves until some time later.  However, you do get to go home at the end of the treatment day and that is very appealing to many.  The natural aversion to having one's skull cut open is also a factor in choosing radiation as an approach. 

As you've clearly stated, no one can make this crucial decision for you and whatever treatment you chose, there can be no guarantees.  I wish it were not so, but here we are, all the same. I suggest having consultations with as many different doctors as is feasible and preferably with those who specialize in both forms of AN treatment, so to keep their biases in check. 

As Jan stated, it's a bit of a quandary but eventually, instinct ('your gut') kicks in.  I trust that you'll make a treatment decision that is right for you, irregardless of what others have done in their AN situation.  Observation is always an option, too.  We don't judge or favor any treatment. but we will support whatever approach you chose, and I know you'll chose well. 

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 06:16:58 pm »
formula30 .....

As Jim and Jan have already stated, this is a decision that only you can (and should) make.  None of us or even medical professionals should try to tell you which road to take.  Very often doctors will line up and say their particular specialty is the only thing you should consider.  This is your body and after you do your research and listen to trusted friends and medical associates, at some point you will know what is right for you.  When you reach that point, do not try to second-guess yourself.  Trust your decision and then relax.

In my case, I really wanted to preserve as much hearing as possible and reduce the risk of any facial involvement.  Fortunately I was able to do both.  See my course of treatment below.

Take a deep breath and remember to take a break from the research when it becomes overwhelming.  You have plenty of time to research your options.

Best thoughts and many prayers for answers to what is best for you.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011