Author Topic: Had my first appointment regarding the 4mm Acoustic Neuroma...  (Read 7485 times)

ColaBurns

...and I will be joining the "Watch and Wait" crew. The tumor is relatively tiny at 4mm and as long as it doesn't grow we will continue to just "watch and wait". The tumor is located on the nerves that control balance and dizzyness...my hearing is 100% fine as is my facial nerve so right now there is no need to threaten either one if we don't have to. I have a follow up in 5 months and will continue to monitor it. I feel great about the outcome and either way this Dr will not do Radiation on me because of my age so that pretty much rules that out. Thanks for the well wishes...

Cola (Nicole)
Diagnosed June 25th, 2010
Acoustic Neuroma: 4mm right side
Doctor: Dr. Fucci in Chandler, AZ
I now belong to the Watch and Wait Brigade!

iluuvpups

Re: Had my first appointment regarding the 4mm Acoustic Neuroma...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 03:07:26 pm »
Hi.  Thanks for the update.  I'm curious that you mention age is a concern related to radiation.  May I ask how old you are?  I'm trying to decide right now if I should let my doctor do radiation on my facial neuroma or go into watch and wait mode.  I'm 46 and wonder if I wait too long, radiation will no longer be an option?  Thanks for your response.  --Carol Ann
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

ColaBurns

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 03:56:35 pm »
HI Carol, I'm 28. My doctor explained that in older patients (over 50) they will do radiation but that tests have been shown that there seem to be some side effects that show up usually about 25-30 years after small doses of radiation. Thats what he told me, and I had decided personally I would either do the surgery if it was that bad, or just wait and watch rather than subject my head to a dose of radiation if I didnt need it. That is just my personal experience. Hope this helps...thanks so much!

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 04:38:19 pm »
Usually with an AN you will know when it starts to grow.  Mine was found 2 years ago and it was at 5 mm, now it is 7mm and is effecting my hearing.  But I also met a man that has been watching his for 20 years.  I think one of the key side effects of radiation is loss of hearing.  Good luck, hopes your's does stay stabel with no growth.

TJ

suboo73

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 05:03:15 pm »
Hi Niccole!

Welcome to the AN Forum - but so sorry you had to join this exclusive club.   ::)

I am here with my sister and we are both in W & W.
My AN is approx. 1cm, discovered in 2008.
But i had hearing problems for over 12+ years and nobody listened specifically to what i was saying, and hearing tests were inconclusive.

You are in good company in W & W mode.

Please continue to update us on your progress.
We are here to listen!

Sincerely,

Sue

PS - I had an intern absolutely try to convince me that i was so 'young' that i should have surgery.  In Dec., i will turn 55 years old.  Go figure!
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

ColaBurns

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 05:20:29 pm »
Thanks so much everyone...on a side note I go in for surgery on the 9th of September to remove the Sphenoid Sinus Mucocele and Deviated Septum so hopefully most of these "issues" will subside when I have this giant booger ball removed from my head.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 06:22:28 pm »
Hey Nicole!! Glad the appt went well for you!  I am sure once you get all that other stuff out of the way, you'll feel much better.  Nice part of where you are now with this is your AN is small enough and you are young enough you got plenty of wiggle room.  Keep us updated! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

ColaBurns

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 06:54:28 pm »
Thanks Jay :) Yeah Dr. Fucci said I should feel almost 100% better once all this other "garbage" is out of my head so hopefully by October the only complaint I will have is some slight dizzyness and vertigo and nothing more! The plan is to watch, and if it starts budging it will still be small enough to do surgery with minimal consequences so I'm perfectly ok with that plan. Thanks again for all your help!