Author Topic: Encouragement needed  (Read 4187 times)

Dabs4811

Encouragement needed
« on: July 31, 2006, 09:31:43 am »
I need encouragement that the dizziness will/may decrease.  My surgery for a 7mm tomor was April 27, 2006.  I KNOW the dizziness is worse for me because of the small size of the tumor and that surgery was only four months ago.  But I am SO dizzy today.   I'm trying to "hang in there" for my job, hoping to retire in December 2007. 

Could I hear some experiences about dizziness decreasing? 

Thanks -- Dee

Dee (my mom still calls me Dolores) :-)
Translab 4/27/06, Hearing loss on right side
Michigan Ear Institute — Dr. Kartush
64 years old, have 6 Boston Terriers

DeniseSmith

Re: Encouragement needed
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 09:41:34 am »
Dee,

I don't have too much dizziness anymore, only when I overdo it.  My tumor was quite large, so i think I got used to the dizziness prior to surgery.  I think it has decreased as I have become more active.  I think my right side is finally starting to catch up.  Unfortunately it is a very very slow process.

Denise

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 09:46:08 am »
I am 7 months from translab.  I have a bit of dizziness as I get up in the mornings and when I get to bed really late.  When I have dizziness, I know that I need to do more stablizing moves.  From time to time (especially when the weather is changing) I have a whole dizzy day  ;D.  So I do head and eye movement exercises to readjust my balance.  Sometimes I take a brisk walk and move my head from side to side.  

At four months out you have a lot of improvement to look forward to.  Just hang in there and keep confidence that the dizziness will decrease and you are going to get through it.  Life is wonderful.  You have a lot of strength.    

I find that one glass of red wine makes me feel bad.  So I don't drink much at all.

Dabs4811

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 09:58:46 am »
Thank you so much for responding.  I have good genes behind me -- my 89-year-old mom lives in a nursing home still dresses every day like she's going to tea and wants to get out as often as I can get her out.  I need to take lessons from her to keep on going.  I'll just have to take it one day at a time and reading messages on this chat group will give me courage.  Thanks.

Dee
Dee (my mom still calls me Dolores) :-)
Translab 4/27/06, Hearing loss on right side
Michigan Ear Institute — Dr. Kartush
64 years old, have 6 Boston Terriers

Obita

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 01:47:58 pm »
Hi Dee:

Kathy from Minnesota here.  How have you been aside from the dizzys?

I know the trampoline sounds frightning (DON'T do what Boppie did on the trampoline - no bouncing - see 101 ways to loose your balance) but it really helps alot with balance.  Plus, its great for your legs.  I used it after surgery.  I rolled it into the kitchen and touched the fridge door handle for support while standing on one leg.  It does take time but the good side should take over.  I still have trouble driving on washboard dirt roads and walking on rocks, to name a few don't like to anymores.   Is your dizziness causing nausea?  If so, ask your Doctor about it.  When the balance was very bad before surgery I took dramamine so I could eat.

Kathy
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 05:21:14 pm by Obita »
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Road Trip Dale

• Dale - 6 days after surgery!
    • Frappr/dale
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 07:07:30 pm »
I'm 3 months post-op and have very little dizziness (although I try to make myself dizzy with amusement park rides, 4-wheeling in my jeep, etc.)  I must admit that I can tell when I'm overly tired or STRESSED!  I'm retired so don't have to deal with the office anymore, but if I get stressed over something I can feel the dizzies coming on.  The other place i really notice it is going from bright light to dark (i.e. movie theatre).  The eyes don't have anyway to give input to aid the good side.  If it continues much longer I'd see my doc and see wha'zup! 

Good Luck and hope this passes soon.....don't stress too much, and get plenty of rest.
1.75 AN Right Side
Translab 4/16/06
Dr. Charles Leutje and Dr. Paul Camarata
St Luke's, Kansas City, MO

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 08:13:42 pm »
I know this sounds totally insane, but the best cure for dizziness is to try to make yourself even more dizzy!  That's what Physical Terrorists do.  They had this thingy in my PT I called the "phonebooth from Hell."  Like a big phonebooth, but the floor and walls move and you are strapped in a parachute harness. The floor has sensors that read points on your feet and can tell when you are compensating for when the walls and floor move.  We have found another use for this device--it is described in the "good morning" thread somewhere ::).
My favorite excercise is the "bobblehead strut"--walking with head turns and focusing on distant obejects.  I do it at the gym on a treadmill and people look at me strangely.  I tell them to mind their own business.
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 08:18:50 pm »
 I agree with capt Deb...You must keep retraining and doing the vestibular exercises in order to dimish the dizziness.  I was told too to lay down on your side on the bed and sit up and lay the other way until you can't stand it anymore.  It's suppose to help with the retraining.

Jeanlea

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 08:41:03 pm »
I agree also.  The vestibular exercies are important.  My PT also had the "phonebooth from Hell".  I actually liked it because it was my goal to outwit it.  My last time at PT I was able to do it.  My balance was within normal limits "for a woman my age".  I guess that's good, but I didn't like the woman my age part.  lol 
If you need more practice, come to my house.  My kids are thoughtful enough to leave their sh** all over the floor so I have to step over and around it.   :P  The more you challenge yourself the better you will get.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD