Author Topic: learning to run again  (Read 2804 times)

Brewers7

learning to run again
« on: August 19, 2010, 02:55:32 pm »
I would appreciate any tips for learning to run again.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: learning to run again
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 03:13:53 pm »
Actually I learned from LADavid a long time ago, that running after an AN is easier than walking after an AN.  Because your feet are moving faster, your balance is actually better.  He heard this from a medical professional - possibly a PT (can't remember the specifics).

First and foremost, start slowly - then adjust your running as you adapt.  It took me a while to get back to my "old" speed.  Some of this was because I was greatly out of shape  :P  but some of it was due to my "new normal".

Make sure your balance is steady enough to not be an issue; you don't want to hurt yourself.

Run in a "safe" location - one where your compromised hearing (if that's an issue you have) isn't a problem.

Since I started running again, I no longer run outside in traffic.  I wear a BAHA, but not when I run.

I have limited my running to an indoor track - and tried to use a treadmill (unsuccessfully) - because it's not an environment where people can come up behind me without my knowledge or where I really need to hear what's around me (cars, etc.) 

I have plans to take my running outdoors very soon, but don't intend to run on busy streets again. Being half deaf, I need to be more aware of my surroundings.

The other change I've made is I rarely run with music (iPod) like I used to.  Without my BAHA and with an earbud in my good ear, I feel too vulnerable.  I save my iPod for working out on the exercise bike.

I think Patrick (texsooner) bikes with a partner or a group, so someone is "watching out" for him and alerting him to any "situations" he needs to be aware of it.

That would be a good idea for running also.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jeanlea

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 06:49:01 pm »
I didn't take up running until after my AN surgery.  My balance wasn't a big problem.  It was more taking the time to build up my endurance.  I'm lucky in that I live in a very rural area and can run on the roads without much worry about cars.  They move over for me.  I make it a point to run against traffic so I can see who is coming towards me rather than relying on hearing it.  Because I sweat so much when I run I can't keep the earbud in my ear so I run without it.  I also run with friends who are my ears when necessary.  Good luck with your running.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

texsooner

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 07:51:56 pm »
Running straight also came easier to me than walking in the first few months following AN surgery. I was running without much of a problem only 3 weeks after surgery, but I wobbled a lot while walking several months after that. Now, I can pretty much run, walk, bike, etc, on a fairly straight line.

Like Jan said, just take it a little bit at a time if it's been awhile since you've been running. It's the best to build up distance slowly over time rather than trying to push it really hard in the beginning.

I also agree with Jean, it's best to run against traffic (if you can't run on sidewalks or trails). I wish I could use an I-pod while running, but I believe this is too dangerous for me being SSD.

Jan is right on the biking. I ride a road bike a lot during the spring and summer and I usually go in a group or with a friend. Since I am deaf left, it's challenging sometimes to hear cars passing me while out on the road, so my buddies will yell at me loud enough so I can know when traffic is coming from behind.

Good luck on your running and be safe.

Patrick 

3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 08:11:02 pm »
I can run on the GROUND but took me a while to conquer the treadmill...word of advice DON'T try to JUMP to the sides on the treadmill - that didn't work out for me so well!  :o

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

opp2

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 09:37:17 pm »
I was looking for something like this. I am ready to start running again. Last October I did a trail run called Interforce5 here in my hometown. It was a hoot. My GF want's to do it again this year. It seems like a long way away (Oct) but that is only 6.5 weeks. The run is usually mid Oct so I'd have 8 weeks to train for it.

That being said, my Honey is dead set against me running any trail races. Not sure why, but this entire journey has been hard on him.

I've started back to Crossfit this past two weeks, and am gradually increasing the weights, but running has not been on the agenda so far. Did you find any problems when you started back? I've done a couple of crossfit 5 rds WOD that included 200m runs but nothing more.

What I did find bothered my was/is situps. For some reason it pulls at my surgery area if I don't keep looking at the ceiling. So I look at the ceiling.

Your thoughts?
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

sunfish

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 06:49:47 am »
I've been doing triathlon for several years.  Been trying to keep up my fitness during this whole AN/CK process.  Lots and lots of balance problems over the past month.  When I run, it feels like the ground is sliding back and forth under my feet.  It feels really weird to run now!  I've been running on the paved bike path in my community, and on the beach.  In another, recent post, nanramone said she has just started back running, and does some vestibular/balance exercises like turning her head while running.  I tried this, and found it challenging, but helpful (I think).  My ENT had suggested that I be sure to stop work at my computer every now and then, and turn my head and look in different directions several times.  I think this is reducing the "disequilibrium."

I've decided to keep running even though it feels weird.  This is the "new normal" for me.  It will hopefully get better, but I'm not sitting on the sidelines of life waiting for that to happen.

Yeah, I was regularly running 5-6 miles several times a week a year or two ago.  Now, I still think I should be able to jump right in at farther distances but, if you're a runner, you know it doesn't work that way. 
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Brewers7

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 01:25:58 pm »
A PT once told me that she trained patients to run by having them run two strides then walk two.  At the time, I could barely stand up, so I haven't really tried that method.  I have run a little on the treadmill by holding the rail.  I basically walk a minute and run a minute.  I can now run just a little outside but it has been 100 degrees here for weeks.  Hoping to get back to my passion for running in the fall.  Thanks all for the encouraging words!  I have long believed that running is a lot more mental than physical.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 08:48:44 pm »
I'm like Donnalynn, my head hurts when I start running, even sit ups will cause an all out headache.  I admire those who can run, jump and do any form of psychical exercise.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games