Author Topic: New Here  (Read 2623 times)

ReneeK

New Here
« on: September 09, 2010, 09:12:06 am »
I am recently diagnosed 9/3/10 1.1 X 0.7 confirmed by MRI. Significant hearing loss in left ear (60%) at time of hearing test and buzzing and ringing  :o. I was not impressed with th ENT I saw through my primary medical group. So after reading alot of post from you I have chosen to get an outside referral to the house ear clinic. i am lucky because I live about 1 hour from LA. I know it will be a fight with the insurance company, but I have my gloves on  :D. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm 40, so I don't want to wait even though these tend to be slow growing.

Kaybo

Re: New Here
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 10:11:55 am »
Hi Renee & Welcome!
So glad you can go to HEI since it's in your own backyard! I don't have any advice - just wanted to welcome you!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 11:19:53 am »
Hi ReneeK and welcome to the forum!  It sounds like you are on the right track to check with HEI.  If you choose to go there for treatment, check with their insurance department about jumping through the right hoops to get approval.  I went "out of network" for my AN surgery and my neurosurgeon's office staff did the entire process of getting approval so it was painless for me.

Let us know how you are doing.

Best thoughts.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 01:31:18 pm »
Hi, Renee - and welcome to the ANA discussion forums.  No real advice - just an affirmation that seeking out the doctors at the House Ear Institute in Los Angeles is a wise move.  They should be a big help with your insurer, too.  They aren't the only facility in the U.S. that performs quality AN removal surgery but had I lived in California when I was diagnosed I would have went there for my surgery.  I wish you well - and please keep us informed about your progress.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

NL

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 10:57:14 pm »
Hi Renee,

I'm glad you found the forum, but so sorry you had to! I live in the LA area and had surgery at House 2 years ago. I agree with everyone that you should definitely have a consultation at House since you are so close by. And it's true that they are very experienced in dealing with the insurance companies.

I also sent you a PM with more info.

Welcome and please keep us updated!

Nancy
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan