Author Topic: Almost 2 months post GK  (Read 2702 times)

Vivian B.

Almost 2 months post GK
« on: August 23, 2010, 08:56:04 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I have not been on for awhile. I am trying to forget about the death of my intruder. So far, I have had nausea after GK, still have a bit of it but slowly going away. I  had some hot flashes during the first 4 weeks. I took the first two weeks off work and tried to rest as much as I could, although I still tire easily. In the past week, I have had some fullness in my ear and I feel like I am having more problems hearing, but I don't know if it is still too soon for these particular side effects or just coincidence. My incisions have almost healed, although the right one still throbs sometimes. It was much bigger than the left for some reason and the neuro. said the needle went through a muscle. Overall, I can't complain. So far I don't regret having the procedure. I am not sure what else to expect in terms of symptoms. Sometimes I am conscious of it, sometimes I am not. I will have a follow up consultation with the GK team on Sep 29/2010 at which time an MRI will be booked. Someone at work shared a personal technique with me today. She said that prior to engaging in something stressful that is scheduled in the future, she marks on her calendar or cell phone when she should start worrying. For example, she told me in my case my appt. is on Sep 29/2010, I can start worrying on or about Sep 25/2010 Until then a clear mind helps the soul. I thought I would try it. Anyway I will keep you posted on the progress of my dying tumor.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Tumbleweed

Re: Almost 2 months post GK
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 12:56:24 am »
Hang in there, Vivian. The road will have some rough patches, but smooth pavement lies not too far ahead! You'll be feeling much better before you know it.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

nanramone

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 05:53:25 am »
Hi Vivian,

It's been 3 months since I had GK, and this last month I've seen great improvement in symptoms that started immediately after GK. I feel very close to normal, but a month ago I was worried. I hope you see similar improvement soon. I can easily remember that just one month ago I was afraid at times, but now, with symptoms subsiding, I don't have that constant daily reminder that something's wrong. I like your friend's idea about scheduled worrying! It's kind of funny.

Hope you have good news at your next MD visit. My first follow up MRI isn't until November...I put it out of my mind until later.

Nancy

Lizard

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 08:27:18 am »
Vivian,
Sounds like you are progressing pretty much as expected, but with many GKer's its hard to know what you will wake up to tomorrow.  Hopefully you begin to have many symptom free days!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

eab

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 10:09:57 pm »
Vivian,

Hang in there! I didn't really believe it when I heard that people who had AN's actually got to a point where they didn't think about it every day.  I had my GK a year ago and I am happy to report that I can really put it aside - although I still blame the darn thing when I can't find my keys or forget something obvious.  I wish you have a successful and speedy recovery.

Beth
Left side AN 2.5x1.7x1.5cm, limited hearing loss, limited tin., good balance
GK 7/6/09 Hoag Hospital; MRIs at 2, 6 & 12 months show no change in tumor size - hearing etc. same as before GK.

acGK2009

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 10:50:18 pm »
Just read your post and must tell my story from GK done in univ Pitts 1/28/09 all went well for 15 mths when I awoke with first side effect of shuffling and loss of balance which was determined by MRI to be hydrocephalus and corrected  5 mths later with shunt and now find no problems since! However I was not aware that hydrocephalus was a possible side effect and I still have 2.40 cm AN which appears stable. Still believe GK was my best option!  allan :

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 03:33:06 pm »
Hi, Vivian ~

It was good to see you post again.  I trust you'll continue to improve and although there may be a few hurdles along the way, I'm confident that normalcy is not far off for you.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.