Author Topic: confused about hearing loss in other ear  (Read 2146 times)

tgillesp

confused about hearing loss in other ear
« on: September 06, 2010, 12:38:40 am »
So now I know what has caused by hearing loss in the left ear.  But I actually remember having hearing loss in the left ear about 20 years ago.  Couldn't hear the tv when laying on left ear, couldn't use phone on left ear.  Now I know I have the AN.  What I am confused about is why the hearing loss in the right ear and why the tinnitus in the right ear.  I do not have an AN on the right side.  Is it possible that if the AN is on my left side that I would hear the tinnitus on the right side?  Or is it possible I'm confused about what side I'm hearing the tinnitus on?  Or is it possible that I the tinnitus is on the left and I can't really tell.  It just seems it started on the right side about a year ago.  So if I lost my hearing 20 years ago in the left ear, then I wonder if the small AN was always there and maybe just isn't growing.  Hopefully, someone will be able to clear up some of my questions once I get in for my first consult.  But I was just wondering if anyone else has had confusion about where the tinnitus is coming from.  Or does it always come from the AN ear?
diagnosis 8/25/2010 5mm acoustic neuroma...second opinion by Dr. Chang says I have no tumor!!!

Cheryl R

Re: confused about hearing loss in other ear
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 07:24:13 am »
Hi Tracey,      I am curious if maybe you have 2 types of hearing loss.     You may have had the loss that long and had the AN or you have some other type which is affecting both ears and the AN is a more recent happening. But still been there for a fairly long time.    Just a guess as it is something that might be figured out or might not.      Is there any other family history of hearing loss?                The tinnitis is probably from the AN side but with it might be harder to tell with how your hearing is.       One can have it and not be from AN so might be on your other side since do have some loss there.                 I have various sounds of tinnitis on both sides but seem to be able to know which side what sound is coming from.           Just a thought here and will see what others think too.       Tinnitis is maddening but I don't have it as bad as what some do.     Mine is worse by evening and when tired or been around louder noises.                                     Cheryl R           
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 07:51:56 am »
Tracey .....

I still have about 20% hearing, with 100% speech discrimination post-surgical removal of my AN on the left.  I wear a hearing aid which boosts that significantly and helps greatly with the tinnitus in that ear.  I have perfect hearing in my non-AN ear (right) but still have mild tinnitus in it.

One other thought ..... when looking at the actual MRI, it is backwards, so a left AN shows up on the right side of the pictures.

As Cheryl said, you can have tinnitus even when you do not have an AN so your tinnitus on the other side may not be related.

Best thoughts.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

tgillesp

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 08:47:10 am »
Thanks for your input Clarice and Cheryl.  I guess I am more bothered by the fact that any treatment I might choose may cause me to lose more hearing in the AN ear, and with the hearing loss on the right, that scares me.  Since I really don't have an answer for the cause of the loss in the right ear, I don't know if it will progress.  I wear hearing aides in both, but sometimes I don't feel the aide in the right is helpful due to the tinnitus which I seem to have 24/7.  I've tried every vitamin, medication, etc.  and nothing seems to help completely.  I am currently taking a fluid pill which I think has lowered the volume a bit.  I forgot to mention that my ABR test was inconclusive and my VNG failed on the right side.  I thought that the AN would be found on the right, not the left.  I asked my ENT what was going on with the right and he just doesn't know.  He said I have too many things going on and its just a mystery.  Are there any other doctors I might be able to see other than an ENT that would be able to help more with my hearing?  I've heard talk of a neurotologist, but don't know if there are any in my area and if that is their specialty.  I know I may get some answers to some of these questions once I have gone for my consult for my AN.  I am still waiting for the call to make that appt. 
diagnosis 8/25/2010 5mm acoustic neuroma...second opinion by Dr. Chang says I have no tumor!!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 06:36:49 pm »
T -

you definitely want to see a neurotologist.  How far are you from Jackson, MS?  There is a Dr. James House at the Jackson Ear Clinic

http://www.healthgrades.com/directory_search/physician/profiles/dr-md-reports/dr-james-house-md-e8694a6a.cfm

I don't know anything about him, but he trained at House Ear Institute (HEI) in Los Angeles.  The docs @ HEI are the pioneers of AN surgery. 

As for your tinnitus, there is nothing you can do that will totally get rid of it.  There are things you can do to mitigate it, but unfortunately, it is incurable.

Jan

« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 06:44:12 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

tgillesp

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 12:06:13 am »
Thanks Jan for that advice on Dr. House.  I am 3 hours away from Jackson, but I checked and he is a preferred physician with my insurance, which is a relief.  I was also thinking of Dr. Tim Maloney in New Orleans which is about an hour and a half.  However, my insurance would not cover at the in-network fee.  My ENT has sent all my records to Vanderbuilt in Nashville, but I am wondering if I should see a neurotologist before going there.  Does a neurotologist also treat the AN or just the hearing?  Can you tell me also how you know about Dr. House?  Thanks.

Tracey

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 05:38:03 am »
Tracey -

I don't know anything more about Dr. James House than what I read on the link I sent you.  I simply did a web search for Neurotologists in Mississippi.

However, it seems that the doctors you are going to see at Vanderbilt are neurotologists http://www.vanderbilthealth.com/otologygroup/13307 so I don't think you need to see Dr. House unless you want another consultation.

A neurotologist is a specialized ENT doctor - and he/she treats ANs as well as hearing.  You'll notice that at Vanderbilt they treat ANs, but they also do things like BAHA and Cochlear Implants.  The majority of ENTs in the U.S. don't do implants, nor do they treat ANs.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways