Author Topic: Dry mouth  (Read 5067 times)

Karen

Dry mouth
« on: September 16, 2010, 05:29:17 pm »
Does anybody else have a dry mouth all the time?  I constantly have to have water or something to drink all the time.  Not that way before the surgery, also can't eat or drink sour or real minty stuff!  Anyone else notice that?  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Dry mouth
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 07:57:51 pm »
Karen -

I haven't had dry mouth in a long time.  It went away about 1 year post op.

Have you tried the Biotene line of products?  They have toothpaste, mouthwash, some kind of gel, etc.  I used them when I had dry mouth and they helped a lot.

I think I purchased some of the products at drugstore.com but I'm pretty sure you can find them in your local drugstore.

Give them a try.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 07:58:39 pm »
Karen,

I am just  couple days past 7 months post-op. For the first few months I suffered dry mouth all the time. Right now I would say I am about 70% of normal. However, I still have to drink a lot since I have almost no involuntary swallowing and when I eat I still have drink after most every bite, depending on what I am eating. That too though is much improved from where it was.

As for taste, most sugars and artificial sweeteners I still taste only dimly. Initially I could not even taste a Krispy Kreme donut for the first months. Regular coke is one of the few sugars that taste like I remember.

For the most part, it really just seems to take time. Things really have improved from those first days.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Brewers7

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 08:26:04 am »
I also used the Biotene products. They may be helpful.   My taste was off for several months.  I suspect that it was partly because of the surgery and partly because of the medication. 
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 10:46:12 pm »
The Omega3 fish oil seams to help my dry mouth and eye. Don't put the oil in your eye, though. haha.

I hope your symptoms get better.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 03:46:02 pm »
Sometimes I wish I had that problem...I still drool like you wouldn't believe ;D Facial Paralysis on the left side causes me to do that!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

sterry

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 10:04:16 pm »
I'm at 11 months post-op and the worst problem I have has to do with the mouth!  The dry mouth part has improved, unless I'm doing a lot of talking and that makes it drier.  I do use the Biotene products.  My tongue feels as if it is leaking salt all day!  UGH.  I'm pretty much only drinking water and some black coffee, because everything else tastes tart!  I did try some acupuncture about 4 or 5 months after which did help with the dry mouth a bit....may need to go back and try again.  So I guess that I understand what you are asking, but do not have much info to share.
Left AN 3.7 cm. 10-23-09 
HEI Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz
Translab
Doing well

Lizard

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 11:31:58 am »
I have dry mouth, but just make sure to drink lots of water.  Don't think about it too much these days so perhaps it has improved  8)
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 11:40:31 am »
I had dry mouth for a long time.  Now I vascillate from dry mouth to feeling like saliva is shooting out of my right (AN) inner-cheek !  This only started occuring about 6 months ago. I'm a little over 4 years post op.
Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

lori67

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 11:56:24 am »
 Karen,

I still have a dry mouth, 3 and a half years post op.  Sorry, I know that probably doesn't make you feel any better!   :-\  It is better than it was immediately post op, but I do drink a lot more water now than I did back then.  Probably not a bad thing.  I can't really do sour things anymore either.

I used the Biotene mouthwash when the dryness was at it's worst and it really did seem to help.  When your mouth is dry, nothing tastes right! 

Tod, if I couldn't taste a Krispy Kreme donut, I'd have to end it all!   :o

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 12:31:16 pm »
Tod, if I couldn't taste a Krispy Kreme donut, I'd have to end it all!   :o
Lori

It's rough, but there are far worse things. It would be really bad if i couldn't taste all those salty savory foods I love. And beer.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.