Author Topic: time for a hearing aid~  (Read 2620 times)

nanramone

time for a hearing aid~
« on: September 22, 2010, 01:08:52 pm »
Hi everyone,

I had my hearing retested today - I had some minor hearing loss in addition to what was already lost when tested last January, but nothing significant. I've decided to get a hearing aid again, since I liked it so well before. Though I might lose more hearing, I imagine maybe I'll retain what I have...and if not, the hearing aid can be adjusted.

It feels good to be moving right along with life - not quite as if nothing happened, but still, a very good life!

Nancy

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: time for a hearing aid~
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 01:49:45 pm »
I sure don't know much about hearing aids, but my Dad just got a set from Audibell (sp) and they are digital, and he said they are the first ones he ever had that make a broad improvement to his hearing. His understanding of words was around 50% and it jumped up to about 75%. They fit behind his ears and are all but invisible, and have a small clear tube that fits in his ear. They are programable and can be altered as his hearing changes. Dad is 89 going on 50 ,still driving, exercise class 2 days a week, and still dating. We both had strokes, both wear hearing aids (BAHA here), both exercise and drive, but my wife won't let me date!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 03:37:52 pm »
Good for you Nancy!

Personally I was miserable being SSD and without a BAHA I think I would have just about lost my mind (yes, I know lots will say I've lost it anyway - we're a humorous group here on the Forum  ;) )

My mom (in her early 70s), who could really use an aid, refuses to get one and I just can't imagine this  ???  There is so much she's missing.

Anyway, hearing aids have come a long, long way in recent years and there are so many amazing new developments.  Have you found one you like yet?  I saw some great ones at the hearing aid center near my doc's office.  They are so tiny and inconspicuous these days.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nanramone

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 06:12:08 pm »
Jan and James -you both describe what I had before, and will get again. It's made by Oticon, and I forgot the name but it's a mid priced model ($1800) that will suit me well because I only have high frequency loss. This only keeps me from hearing on the phone and in crowded rooms, I'm a goner. But the other one fixed the crowded room issue. I was still unable to hear on the phone, but that's not important.

Yes, it is a tiny digital thing that fits behind the ear with a tiny tube that runs into the ear. I have long hair, and even with it pulled back it is so unobtrusive people don't notice it unless I point it out (which I proudly did!) I seriously liked the thing, and only returned it when the AN was discovered because I didn't know if I'd end up with total hearing loss on that side. Thankfully, I consider myself one of the lucky ones.

I did get a bit of a lecture from the neurologist today, who totally released me from rehab but was unhappy that I've slacked off on my exercises. He said that the brain can rapidly decompensate and I may wake up one morning to find myself with bad disequilibrium. So that was yet another wake up call. Don't we all just want to forget all about these stupid ANs and get on with life? But I know things aren't the way they used to be. So exercise program will kick back in tomorrow - actually, it only takes minutes out of my day, about 3 times per day - there is no excuse for laziness!

Back to the hearing aid...I have an appointment next week, and will get it soon.

I'm grateful for this forum.

Nancy

RAB

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 07:54:14 pm »
Nancy,
 I actually just had my hearing tested on Monday and it also shows a slight decline (though the audiologist is calling it "stable").  I also discussed the hearing aid issue with both the audiologist and my ENT.  The audiologist said that it may also help with the tinnitus-- as more sound comes in, you focus less on the tinnitus.  They boh seem to be in agreement that I should wait another 3 months as my hearing may still be fluctuating.  I hate having to wait that long.  I am very impatient.  I feel like I'm missing too much!  Please post after you get yours.  I am interested in how you make out.

Rosemary :)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1 AN right side. 
Diagnosed 10/1/08
Gamma Knife 6/4/10
Penn Medicine-  Drs. Judy, Bigelow, Alonso-Basante

nanramone

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 08:22:36 pm »
Yes, Rosemary  - I will continue to report. I know it might be smarter to wait a while, but I have this gut feeling I will not lose much more hearing, if any...I don't know how to explain this. I have been fortunate compared to many people on this forum.

Nancy

sunfish

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 06:04:36 am »
I have a hearing aid that's similar to the one you mentioned.  Mine's the Dot220 by ReSound.  I'm one of the lucky ones - hearing aid "drowns out" my tinnitus, for the most part.  That's about the only thing I use the various programs for - if my tinnitus is bothering me, I switch channels and this usually works.  I tried one Dot at around $1700, and decided to get the "20" model, with 3 programs and a little bit better sound quality.

Unfortunately, my hearing has changed some this year so that the aid isn't quite as helpful as it was at first (had conductive hearing loss, which is better helped by hearing aid, but mysteriously disappeared and was replaced with sensorineural loss)

Nancy, I went to neuro-otologist who said vestibular therapy wouldn't help, but to keep active (running, exercise class).  He also said to do exercises which another forum member provided for me here.  Thanks for the reminder that we need to keep up with these exercises if we want to get better!  Good luck with your hearing aid search!
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC