Author Topic: 10 week update  (Read 2564 times)

opp2

10 week update
« on: September 16, 2010, 07:48:56 am »
My goodness where did the time go. I thought I would drop a line about my recovery. Things are going splendidly. In regard to my pre op symptoms - they're gone with the exception of the tinnitus, which neither got louder or went away. The numbness was gone when I woke up in ICU. I've taken Advil about 4 times since I got home, 2 in the past week and that was for a really scratchy sore throat and headache that came with my Husband's cold.

I've been working out and went for my first distance run (5.5km = couple of miles)last week. No headache after, no stumbling while running, no dizziness during or after the work out. I can sit and stand all day long and not have any problems, no worries about falling over, no more flashing lights.

Post operative I did lose my hearing, I'm sure I've posted about that some where. It's not as bad as I thought at all and I have no problem telling folks I'm out with where I need to sit to hear them if we are in a noisy place. My scar is sensitive and can be sore to the touch, but most scars are and it's nothing really. There is still no feeling in a big area over my left ear and I've got a tinny taste in my mouth. I read on here a while back that lots of folks have the tinny/metallic taste and it often goes away. It doesn't bother me much, but I don't like chai tea anymore. Too bad, I love the smell still.

I was sleeping late in the mornings and I've had a tough adjustment to getting the kids up for school, but it will be good training for getting up at 04:00 when I go back to work. I am not yet back to work, by choice. I promised myself I would stay home until after I saw Dr. A in October, 5 short weeks away. I know lots of folks who went back to work in that amount of time, however, I was able to take the time, and I actually booked off for 6 months, sooo...3 months is fine with me. I have been remodeling the house though-- boredom? Paint paint paint :-)))

That's about it. I am so happy with my choices, and the results, I don't post much but I still come and read a couple of times a day. For now I'm off to paint the powder room.

Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
Re: 10 week update
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 08:48:03 am »
Just read your post congratulations to you it is amazing how well you are doing and this is a definite positive for the pre-ops to have something good to read and look forward ti.. You are very lucky and to be painting an inspiration to us all and good luck going back to work sounds like you will not a problem at all !! But if you need to do more painting or something else around the house you maybe you should use the extra 3 months..

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

tenai98

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 09:07:22 am »
Great Job Nikki
so glad to hear your recovery is going well...I hear you on taking time to go back to work.  I did take 5.5 months off just to make sure I was not only ready but capable of keeping my driving students safe.
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 12:51:21 pm »
Hi, Nikki ~

Thanks for the update on your splendid recovery!  I'm very pleased to learn that things are going so well for you. From an AN surgery patient that enjoyed a similar (good) outcome: congratulations!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

moe

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 10:05:51 pm »

congratulations on a very successful surgery! thanks for posting and let us know how things continue to go :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 05:27:28 am »
Nikki -

you're right, things are going splendidly  ;D

Had metallic mouth myself and it did go away in time.  Hope that's what happens in your case also.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mk

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 11:15:34 am »
Hi Nikki,

so happy to hear that your recovery has been progressing so well. I knew that Dr. A. would do a terrific job once more.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

linda s

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 11:32:14 am »
Nikki,

I am very happy to hear things are going so well - thanks for the inspiration - I look forward to feeling that way in the not too distant future.

linda
7mm x 5mm right AN/diagnosed 4-1-10 - hearing loss, balance problems, tinnitus. Having translab surgery at HEI Sept 21st.