Author Topic: Did you work during FSR?  (Read 2638 times)

jbbrown15

Did you work during FSR?
« on: October 20, 2010, 12:10:13 pm »
I'm on day 3 of a 26 treatment course of radiation.  My appointments  are at 10:20 in the morning and I planned to work during the afternoons.  I'm an attorney. 

I'm having a lot of nausea and headaches and fatigue.  I'm curious who continued to work straight through FSR and who took time off. 

Thanks.

Jean
Jean
2.9 cm AN on left side diagnosed 9/9/2010
Finished 26 sessions of fractionated stereotactic radiation on 11/22/2010
Symptoms of increased intracranial pressure since summer of 2010. Trying to determine if related to AN.  Some good doctors say yes, some good doctors say no.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Did you work during FSR?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 01:45:31 pm »
Jean ~

I underwent 26 FSR treatments (in 2006) on a surgically de-bulked AN but I had retired so I can't offer you a direct answer to your question.  I drove myself (60-mile round trip) to and from the hospital where I received the radiation treatments.  I did not suffer from fatigue, headaches or nausea and If you're experiencing these problems, you may well want to consider taking a few weeks off.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

patt

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 03:08:06 pm »
Jean ---
        I have been thinking about you.  I feel bad that you are having those side effects.   I was very lucky  --  I had my treatments in June -- 30 of them.   I did get tired, but I was still able to do things around the house.   I am a retired medical person -- after 40 years of working.     I was very lucky to NOT have any headaches or nausea.      I did have a couple of days, during my treatments that I didn't feel the best, but it did pass.   You might want to share how you feel to your Radiation Oncologist  -- if you aren't able to see him --- share with the therapist  - they are very helpful.

Keep us posted  --- I will be thinking about you.
                 Thought and prayers are with you for a speedy recovery --
                          Patt from Minnesota
Patt  - age 63
Diagnosed - 3/22/2010  -- sudden hearing loss Rt ear
Right ear -- 2.7cm
Left ear -- limited hearing
Will be having "FSR" 
Starting date is June 1st, 2010
30 treatments  --  6 sites
July 12, 2010 -- Completed "FSR" treatments
Oct 2010 - MRI -Slight decrease in size

lholl36233

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 04:46:58 pm »
I did not work during my 30 proton radiation treatments.  I had a long commute to Boston so the doctor thought it would be easier on me not to work.  Of course, he was right.
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

Shan1014

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 06:45:00 pm »
Hello,

I think you checked out my website some and know my story.  I had only 5 days of FSR on Novalis.  I wasn't able to work (PE Teacher) that week nor the next 2 weeks for a total of 3 weeks off.  I was suppose to start back this past Monday, the 18th of October.  Unfortunately, I woke up that morning with more nausea, headaches, and a large part of my hearing was blocked on the AN side.  I am sure it was due to swelling in the tumor... it was 17 days post radiation.  It was a bad day.  On top of that, I had discovered 4 bald spots on my head from the treatment.

Long story short they put me back on steroids and nausea medications and I feel like a new women!  I realized how helpful those meds were to me.  I have no idea if they have you on anything at all.  My homeopathic doctor also prescribed "Arnica" to help with inflammation.  Just thought I would give you my info.  The fatigue I endured the first 2 weeks was substantial too. Focusing isn't easy.

Good luck with it all.  I hope all goes well.
Shannon

4.1cm AN 85% de-bulked on 3/09/10
Dr. Willis & Dr. Macias- Phoenix Banner Hospital
July 2010 MRI shows fast re-growth
(FSR) Stereotactic Radiation Novalis Tx 9/27/10 5 days
Hearing loss and slight Bells Palsy Left side
Experiencing balance, facial numbness, double vision, headaches, & fatigue