Author Topic: LTD overpayment  (Read 1700 times)

pgka97

LTD overpayment
« on: October 14, 2010, 05:04:52 pm »
Hi Folks,
Need some help.  I have just been award my social security disability.  I know I will have to pay back any overpayment with my long term disability.  But does this effect my short term disability as well?

Paula

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: LTD overpayment
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 08:14:32 am »
Social Security is a government program. What is your short term disability...is it a private insurance program? Once you get Social Security disability, you can only earn $1000 per month from a jog.  If you are getting a private insurance income, I do not believe that is considered income, but just call your local Social Security office.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: LTD overpayment
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 11:47:35 am »
Paula ~

In 1996, my wife became disabled and unable to continue working.  She has long-term disability insurance through her employer that pays 70% of her former salary.  Her employer made her apply for SSD 'because it's an entitlement'.  She dutifully applied and (after two years) was awarded a monthly benefit from the Social Security administration.  Her employer now deducts her SS benefit from her company disability payment each month.  This is to prevent 'double-dipping'.  She ends up receiving the same 70% of her former salary but about 40% of it now comes from her SSD benefit.  When she was awarded the SSD benefit (in 1998) she had to repay the company the 40% of her monthly salary that she had been receiving through her company-sponsored disability insurance payment (now replaced by the SSD payment).  It was quite a bit of money but, fortunately, the Social Security administration calculates your 'award' on the basis of when you originally apply.  Because it took two years for her to be approved for SSD benefits, when she was approved for SSD, she received two years worth of SSD checks, out of which she was able to re-pay her employer.  As you see, it can get complicated.   This is why I'll echo James' suggestion that you contact the Social Security office and (if applicable) your employer's HR department for clarification.  Good luck.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.