Author Topic: Surgery completed Sept. 15th  (Read 2137 times)

kathleen anna

Surgery completed Sept. 15th
« on: September 27, 2010, 04:04:46 pm »
Well, the wait is finally over and I am in the "recoup" stage now.  Surgery was at Univ of Penn and was a translab that lasted about 9 hours. I am told that all went well with the surgery, that the tumor was slightly larger than they thought, but it was removed without permanent nerve damage.  I do have some droopiness on the left side and my left eye isnt blinking closed all the way, but I was told this should come back as the nerves heal.  Tomorrow is first surgeon's visit to remove the stitches.  I havent started physical therapy yet.....I think the visiting nurses need to complete their rounds and then vestibular therapy should begin.  Can anyone give me some insight to what exercises this therapy is?  My balance isnt as bad as I thought it would be, but then again, I was very off balance prior to surgery for about 6 months. I feel like all I want to do is sleep!  My head feels full, and the left side of my head and neck are very sore.  I am trying to get up and walk around every hour just to get moving.  I am taking tylenol with codeine (1/2 tab in am and 1/2 tab in pm) for the soreness.  Advil for the inflammation.  Has anyone felt that they dont really feel like having any company?  I know this sounds crazy, but my head hurts to think and in order to talk I need
to think and I just dont feel like it!!!!!...I am so appreciative to all my family and friends and I know they will give me whatever space I need right now to digest all this........I am very thankful that everything turned out as well as it did and am extremely thankful for all the communication and education that I have received from all of you on this forum. Any suggestions during this healing process would be appreciated...........Kathleen Anna

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: Surgery completed Sept. 15th
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 06:36:15 pm »
Kathleen.

Welcome to the world of post-surgery recovery!   First order of business is to follow your doctor's orders. Rest is good, but so is walking. I think you probably want to find the right balance of both in order to help your body do its thing. The more walking you do, the faster your body will heal....as long as you don't overdo it.

As to vestibular therapy, some of it will likely focus on walking and standing. Depending on what your needs are, you may be taught various coping strategies, such as identifying a local horizon to orient yourself to. The exercises I did were rarely strenuous or strange.

Once I got home, there were times I wanted to be alone, and times I wanted people around. You probably have a lot to think through....brain surgery seems to me to be the type of experience that makes you think about your life.

Best to you,

Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 12:59:13 pm »
Kathleen Anna ~

Thanks for posting your 2-week post-op update.  I'm pleased to learn how well you're doing.  The discomfort will abate, in time.  Lack of energy is very common, post-op so you're pretty normal in that respect.  I was a bit anti-social, too, in the weeks immediately following my surgery.  I didn't really begin socializing again until a good two months, post-op.  By then, I felt fully recovered.  I wasn't, really, but I had come so far, so fast that it seemed like a full recovery.  My actual 'full' recovery took another year or so.  However, we're all unique and recover a bit differently, so don't gauge how you feel only by comparing your recovery with other AN post-op patient's experience.  Resume activities at whatever pace feels right to you but do walk as much as possible, be faithful with doing your balance exercises and look forward to reaching a state of normalcy as soon as it is feasible.  Of course, we're here to both support and help you in whatever way we can.  Don't be a stranger.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

epodjn

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 01:11:48 pm »
It sounds like you are right on track. I didn't feel very social either. I think that's normal in the beginning and even for a few months after. As your facial problems resolve you will also feel more comfortable socially. I did sleep a lot those first few weeks. I needed a nap everyday for the first month or two. I was also out walking early on and I believe it really helped with my recovery and balance issues. Walking is great as long as you don't try to over due it. Just listen to your body. It will be more than happy to tell you when to stop! Keep in touch with us. Your doing great!
Julie
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 05:22:52 pm »
Kathleen Anna .....

You are very much on course for recovery from an assault to your brain during the surgery.  The brain takes a long time to recover from this invasion.  It is perfectly normal to want to sleep and not talk to others.  You are only two weeks out from surgery.  Be nice to yourself.   :)  Rest whenever you are tired but Tod is right that the more walking you do the more quickly you will recover.  Listen to your body.

Re:  vestibular therapy.  You may find you need very little in the way of formal exercises since your brain had already begun compensating for the compromised vestibular nerve that was removed during surgery.  Walking is excellent therapy in itself.  All the exercises you do need to be done safely.  I found that walking up and down the hallway to our bedrooms was very safe as I could easily reach either wall to catch myself.  When you can walk easily, add moving your head from side to side and then up and down while walking (separately).  Stand in a corner (like a kitchen corner) and put your feet about shoulder width apart and then bend over and pick an object up from the floor, raise it above your head, back down, etc.  Very slowly at first, increasing how fast you do it.  If you are having trouble holding your gaze steady, try placing a letter (like A) on the wall at eye level (sticky note works well).  Stand back about 5-6 feet and then keep focusing on the A while you move your head slowly left and right and then up and down.

Best thoughts and let us know how you are doing.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011