Author Topic: Having problems with non-AN ear 9 years later...  (Read 2173 times)

Cynaburst

Having problems with non-AN ear 9 years later...
« on: October 17, 2010, 02:56:43 pm »
I am looking for advice from others who may have gone through something similar.  I had a very large AN removed from my right side almost 9 years ago and am completely deaf on that side.  I also had hydrocephalus and have a VP shunt.  Until very recently, I had perfect hearing on the left.  Several audiograms showed above average thresholds in all frequencies.

Now, I am 46 years old.  I do have a history of exposure to loud music as I spent most of my middle teenage through mid-20s in loud nightclubs seeing loud music.  I also have a family history of hearing loss on both sides of my family, though I am not sure that I can pinpoint exactly at what age this started happening for my parents.  

About 2 weeks ago I started noticing some problems with noises in my left seeming really loud.  I also noticed some sounds being a little bit distorted.  If it weren't for the fact that I only have one working ear, and the fact that I am completely gun shy due to my AN experience, I probably would have just ignored the whole thing.  I have no dizziness, facial numbness, paralysis, tinnitus (in the good ear) or ear fullness, all of which I experienced with my AN, though I do have to say that the tinnitus in my AN deaf ear seems louder lately.

I had an audiogram and Otoacoustic Emissions test done on Friday.  My audiogram now shows a little dip to about 25 db at 6000 HZ.  I am told that this is still basically normal, but that it does seem to show a change from my last audiogram which was done about a year ago.  I am told that the OTE was consistent with regular old noise related hearing loss, and that the likelihoold of this being another tumor is very very low.  I am also unable to have MRIs due to a cardiac issue for which I have an Implantable Defibrillator.  Therefore, any scan would have to be a CT which involves radiation and I am a bit worried about all of the cumulative radiation already from my follow up scans of which I have had several in the last few years.

The audiologist recommended retesting in 6 months and not doing anything more.  I am scheduled to speak to my ENT next week.  What do you all think?  Is this just regular old age hearing loss starting to show now, or should I be worried that it is an indication of something more serious?  I feel fine, as I mentioned, and even the hearing symptoms have improved since this all started about 2 weeks ago.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 03:53:48 pm by Cynaburst »

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Having problems with non-AN ear 9 years later...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 03:36:44 pm »
Cynthia ~

Its axiomatic that when we have only have usable hearing in one ear, we're bound to be hyper-sensitive to changes in our hearing in that ear.  I know that I am, so your concern is certainly understandable.  I haven't had this experience (hearing loss) and I'm not a doctor and can't offer a professional medical opinion but my hunch is that this is likely normal age-related hearing loss and not AN-related.  Because of the testing restrictions you have to deal with (no MRI, CT scan problematic) I would try not to fixate on your hearing but do have it re-tested in the six month timeframe the audiologist recommended.  Here's hoping it remains stable.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 05:29:23 pm »
Cynthia .....

I would have to agree with Jim.  It seems to me you have received good advice from your audiologist.  The hyperacusis (sensitive to loud noises) you are experiencing is fairly common in this group on the forum.  However, I do not know why you would suddenly be more aware of it after 9 years.  If your symptoms are unchanging otherwise, I would vote for holding off on the CT scan until after the next audiogram in six months.  If you notice any new or greatly increasing symptoms before that, I would certainly recommend that you contact your audiologist for new advice.

Best thoughts and let us know how you are doing.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Tisha

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 10:56:30 am »
I agree with everyone else.  If it were me, I would wait before having a CT scan.  My AN ear is my "good" ear.  My other ear has moderate-severe hearing loss, and i wear a hearing aid in that one.  I lost some DB's in my AN ear, mostly in the 8000 level.  I'm very aware of my hearing and any changes.

the 6000 range is out of the converaational ranges.  Since you're 47, i would say it's age-related.  I think the audiologist gave you good advice.   It normally costs around $35 for an audiogram.  If it makes you feel any better, just go have one every month or every 2 months to make sure it's not decreasing.

I did that for awhile.

Tisha
1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys