Author Topic: What is CK Standard Practice  (Read 1919 times)

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
What is CK Standard Practice
« on: October 25, 2010, 08:02:45 pm »
Hello to all, I am having CK within a couple of weeks and I have a question for all.  Although I would love to have it at one of the listed sites, my insurance won't pay for that so I will be going to a local provider. Is it standard practice to give a prescription for a steroids after CK or GK?  I have been told by some that they help keep the AN from swelling.  I know as the procedure becomes aerier to get there should be a  protocol.

Thanks

TJ

Lizard

Re: What is CK Standard Practice
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 12:21:09 pm »
Well hopefully your local provider is knowledgeable and has be doing CK for a while at least even if they haven't treated any AN's, sorry you couldn't use one of the premier CKer's, but as long as you are confident with the treatment plan everything should go off without a hitch.  I'm sure you will go over the whole treatment plan, but steroids are not always given, some people have only received them if their symptoms increased while others were sent home with a course of them.  I believe it depends on the Dr.

Good luck to you and make sure you ask your Dr lots of questions, I suggest writing them down as you think of them,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 02:08:29 pm »
TJ ~

I'll just echo Liz on this.  Steroids are not automatically prescribed by every doctor for every CK patient.  Of course, post-radiation swelling is always an issue and that is why the majority of CK patients do require a short steroid 'dose', but it is situational.  You may not need steroids. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 05:21:24 pm »
Liz and Jim

Thanks for your responses.  Going through this you think you are ready but then something pops into your head.  Both my wife and I drilled the doctor for almost an hour at my last visit, I do feel comfortable with him.  Currently I am just waiting for the mask fitting, cat scan and enhanced MRI.  When those get done, it will be time to shoot this sucker.

Thanks Again

TJ

JLR

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 08:19:26 pm »
Hi TJ,  I had those same concerns.... My doctor will be putting me on Decadron during the treatments. And probably beyond that, I was concerned with the side effects..but keeping the swelling at bay is the main concern.  I have searched every site and spoken to many people in similar situations,, Then...I called a friend who is a nurse..and she said....that is the drug of choice  for the brain. My CK will start in a couple of weeks.  My insurance also took soooo long to go through.  Yesterday was the face mask, today the CT Scan and next week the MRI.. My AN right side, 2.3x2.0x1.9 cms. Balance a tad off, fullness in ear, tinnitis.. I have had so long, Im actually used to it, and some pins and needles in my face. Im more than ready for the CK and hope there are no complications.  Lets stay in touch with our progress, JLR