Author Topic: GK  (Read 2440 times)

formula30

GK
« on: November 08, 2010, 08:21:37 pm »
I had gamma knife six weeks ago, had my checkup and they explained to me that in the next six weeks the worst would be over, which hasn't been bad at all .......is this true.  I really have very few problems.....my an was not very big....19mm x 18mm x 16mm, more in the cpa angle I believe.  I am ecstatic if this turns out to be true.  For some reason I was under the impression that it would be six months down the road before problems would occur.  I sure hope I was wrong and it is just the first three months that are the worst.  And if that is true........I couldn't be happier.  I have a script for steroids, but up until now I haven't needed them, I can control most problems with alleve, and a nap.....ha ha ha.  Something I never did before.....but hey I feel pretty lucky.  I was just wondering what other people reaction to gamma have been. 

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: GK
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 08:29:04 pm »
I didn't have GK myself - chose surgery - but it was an option my neurotologist offered to me.

He told me that it could take as long as 12 - 18 months to experience side effects.

I'm hopeful that in your case it's only six weeks and that you won't have any from here on out.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 09:45:40 pm »
I think you should continue to feel very lucky and you very well may be one of the lucky ones who don't have many side effects due to GK.  Hallelujah and pass the pancakes!!

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

mk

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 06:36:05 pm »
Your doctors were probably referring to immediate swelling, which can happen as early as 3 months after GK and can cause serious problems. This is why some doctors insist on a 3 month MRI. Problems can crop up anywhere between 3 and 6 months, and as late as 2 years post-GK. Every case is different. I didn't have any swelling or other side effects, but my hearing started to decline after the 2 year mark.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.