Author Topic: Symptoms Post Gammaknife  (Read 2203 times)

Vivian B.

Symptoms Post Gammaknife
« on: October 13, 2010, 04:32:22 pm »
Hi Everybody,

I haven't been on for awhile. I'm into my 4th month post treatment and I am having a lot of pain on the side of the tumour. Prior to the treatment my ear used to throb and mainly at night. Now I have like a stabbing pain and when it passes, it leaves me with a dull aching annoying pain, the type that wears you out. I have been taking Advil but I am up to 6 pills a day, and they don't completely take the pain away. The kind of just numb it but you know the pain is there. Hard to explain. They are killing my stomach plus the fact that I have above normal blood pressure and probably should not be taking them. I also have a full feeling in the ear, sort of like my ear is stuffed. I had my 3 month follow-up with one of the neurosurgeons from the gammaknife team and reported my symptoms. He said that there was not much I can do and to wait for the MRI in Dec. 2010. I asked if I can take any painkillers, and he said there is not much to take as the pain is from the pressure of the nerves in the area. He said to just manage whichever way I can. Not much comfort there.

I am wondering if anybody experienced the same symptoms and what has helped? Is it worth seeing my family doctor?

Thank you.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

nanramone

Re: Symptoms Post Gammaknife
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 07:39:48 pm »
Hi Vivian - I'm sorry to hear about the pain you're having. I recently started to have some sharp pain in the back of my head on the AN side, but what you're having sounds much worse. I'm ignoring this pain I have, because it's infrequent, but maybe you should see a doctor.

Nancy

Vivian B.

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 12:27:45 pm »
Hi Nancy,

Thanks for replying. My pain got so bad that I had to see the Neurosurgeon last week and I was prescribed Tylenol 3. Even with the pills, I still feel pain. The Neuro said that symptoms may get worse before they get better and may last weeks or months. Today after my shower, I cleaned my ear gently and I had a little bit of blood. I called the gammaknife clinic, spoke to a doctor on call and she said that the severe pain seems unusual and that I may need to see an ENT. I am now very confused and concerned. My next MRI was moved up to Nov. 24/2010. I was checked for ear infections last week and there was none. I would love to hear from anyone that has had similar symptoms.

Thanks always,

Vivian.
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 02:11:40 pm »
I'm surprised that you weren't given some steroids...like a prednisone treatment.   I had something similar a few years back along with a noticeable loss of hearing in my AN ear  (I'm a GK patient too).  the treatment really helped...I felt like I had my elbow in my ear.

Have you thought about going back and asking for a steroid treatment?
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Keeping Up

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 07:05:29 pm »
Vivian

So sorry to hear of the severe headaches - I saw your name as a poster (I am not here that often so not sure if you started the thread awhile ago) and was very excited to read your update.  Not great news, so am sorry.

Can you call for a quicker MRI date - I know at Toronto General/Princess Margaret I was told to phone around 10 am each day to see if they have an openings.  (You may be out of Sunnybrooke and can't help much there).

The steroid suggest might be an idea to pursue.

Take care

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'