Author Topic: Driving  (Read 3007 times)

Suebedo

Driving
« on: October 26, 2010, 08:23:33 am »
Yes everyone is different but I am just wondering what others experienced. I am three weeks after my mid-fossa surgery, not much vertigo unless I do something that I know is stupid. I drove Sunday for the first time, just in the neighborhood. My concern is that everytime I turned a corner, I got a little bit of vertigo. Not huge...but more than I would be comfortable with driving for any length of time. Others?
Diagnosed with AN June 10, 2009. Mid fossa surgery 9/30/10 at University of MN. Tumor over an inch at that time. CSF leak after surgery. Eight years later, regrowth. Starting the decisions all over again.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Driving
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 08:33:56 am »
As you say, everyone is different, but IMO you will experience less and less of this vertigo feeling fairly quickly.  Especially if you do some vestibular therapy type of exercises on a regular basis.  Walking up and down your hallway at home while turning your head side to side and then again moving it up and down ..... is the best one.  Three weeks out is quite soon in the grand scheme of things.  I would certainly be very careful about driving before you feel safe.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

cindyj

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 08:44:24 am »
I just had to get out on my own to start feeling like myself again, so I drove a bit at 3 weeks post op also - but only locally - no highways, and I tried to always choose a route where I could go straight as much as possible w/ few to no lefthand turns (I would drive out of the way to avoid it :D ).  Always parked where I could drive straight out and not need to back up!  But, it wasn't too long before I was back to "normal" driving...I do still try to park where I don't have to back up, though ;)  Yes, everyone is different!

Good luck and be very careful!

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Brewers7

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 09:06:51 am »
started on the golf cart, then locally in our small town
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 11:26:45 am »
Three weeks for me, but daytime only.  My vertigo seemed to be worse at night so I thought it was safer to limit things at first.  Back to normal within four or five weeks.  Keep in mind your miles may vary  ;)

- Dennis
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 01:35:54 pm »
I drove around 2 days after getting out of the Hospital. I was releast on the 9th and had a CSF leak fix on the 4th. So that's 1 week Post-op on CSF fix surgery which wasn't anything as bad as the main AN removal surgery. So I guess that puts me 2 weeks post-op.

I was told by my doctor I was not allowed to drive till I get back to him the next month on the 10th. So it was really fun because it was something I wasn't suppost to do. I felt like a teen again.

I found my mind would drift thinking about everything and I would be closer to the medium than I would normally drive. So I have re-framed from driving in order not to kill someone being a retard. Its just not worth it. So don't do it till the Doctor says too. Would be my advice.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 01:37:54 pm »
Sue ~

I was very anxious to resume driving and did so within a few weeks of my AN surgery, with my doctor's approval.  I plunged right into highway driving with no real problems although I did notice some minor 'swimming' sensations when swiveling my head to change lanes , that didn't last too long and I never felt vertigo-like sensations or any type of dizziness.  I found that driving, like walking on uneven surfaces, became easier the more I did it.  However - all together now - we're all different and no one has the exact same recovery experience.    Because I had a mostly positive recovery experience, I wish every AN surgery/radiation patient could have the same.  Alas, that isn't the case.  Fortunately, time does help things improve. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 04:25:46 pm »
Sue -

as you already said, returning to driving depends on the individual and their circumstances.  I didn't drive until 6 weeks post op, but I had no need to.  My mom moved in with the kids and me after my surgery so we had our own personal chauffeur.

Once I started driving, I began with a few local trips on roads that were not busy and then I built up to highways, busy streets, night driving, etc.

In time you'll find that things generally get better.  At least that was my experience.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 10:54:15 pm »
I didn't return to driving until about 2 1/2 months post-op, that was doctor's orders!
I think it depends on how "ill" you are and your "post-op losses"
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)