Author Topic: 5 weeks post op  (Read 2368 times)

Suebedo

5 weeks post op
« on: November 04, 2010, 05:00:48 pm »
Doing okay; had my first follow up appt yesterday; doc told me to go back to work as it would make me feel better (I hadn't said I was feeling poorly).  I've really been spectacularly fortunate in my recovery - after the first two weeks of sleep most of the time, I've done okay. Naps, little pain, my eye a bigger problem for me than anything. So I went to work today for four hours - I have a desk and computer job so it isn't physically exhausting. Good to be around different people and things went okay.  Am going to do PT as soon as it gets set up and am going to see an eye doc to see if there is anything else we can do for my eyes besides drops and drops and more drops. Other than that , the same as everyone else - I show up for life each and see what I am given. Mostly, I am grateful.
Diagnosed with AN June 10, 2009. Mid fossa surgery 9/30/10 at University of MN. Tumor over an inch at that time. CSF leak after surgery. Eight years later, regrowth. Starting the decisions all over again.

moe

Re: 5 weeks post op
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 07:26:16 pm »
Suebedo,
Good attitude, and glad to hear things are going well (except for the eye situation).
Take it easy going back to work, but that is great! Have you tried eye ointment, instead of the drops, drops, and more drops?
Keep it lubricated to protect the cornea? Can you blink?
Best wishes,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 12:54:29 am »
Sounds like you ARE indeed doing spectacular in your recovery!! I didn't go back to work until 8 weeks post, and even then that was pushing it, because my job IS more on the physical side AND I work 12 hour night shifts...that all was just abit too much in the beginning.  Here's to your continued recovery and hope all goes well! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 06:03:08 am »
Sue -

I found that returning to work post op (desk job) was a positive experience for me and I truly think it helped me recover faster.

I started with 1/2 days (would nap at home in the afternoon) at 2 1/2 weeks post op and returned full-time at 4 weeks.  The biggest issue I found was fatigue, so it's important not to overdo it.  Listen to your body and get the rest you need and you should be okay.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lizard

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 09:32:02 am »
Congrats on your return to work, that's a big step in the right direction!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 02:11:37 pm »
Sue ~

I'm pleased to learn that you're enjoying a rapid recovery from your AN surgery.  As you know, every AN patient recovers at a different pace but going back to work, even part-time  (a good plan) barely a month after your surgery is an augury for your complete recovery.  Well done!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

GramaSuby

• "Lost my muchness have I"? ALICE IN WONDERLAND
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 09:09:59 pm »
Hey Sue,
It's good to hear that you are doing so well.  Its been awhile since we've talked so its a comfort to know how you are doing.   Be kind to yourself and be sure to use your eye ointment at nite!  Know you are loved :)
Sue
Diagnosed Nov 08  w/ 14x13x14mm left AN. Translab on 9/30/10 w/ Dr's Mattox & Olson at Emory University Hosp. in Atlanta.  Post surgery complications were meningitis & pneumonia. Hospitalized for 12 days, zero memory for the first 5.