Author Topic: Shands  (Read 2201 times)

FranDS

• 7mm; diag May 2, 2006
Shands
« on: May 31, 2006, 08:54:04 am »
I am continuing my research and am wondering if anyone has had any experience with Dr. Patrick Antonelli at Shands at the University of Florida. Prior to Shands, he was at the Michigan Ear Institute.  Thanks.
Fran
7mm May 2, 2006
Waiting and Watching

Battyp

Re: Shands
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 10:45:26 am »
Fran I had a consult with him but didnt' make it had my surgery before I could get in.

I know a guy in Titusville who had surgery with him and they were very pleased with him.  He worked under Dr. Rhoton who was a big guy in AN surgeries at shands before he retired. 

vcschaub

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 12:32:39 pm »
I also had a consult with Dr. Antonelli when I was first diagnosed. My local ENT (who diagnosed me) had done her residency with him. He was very thorough and thought I might choose surgery further down the road. I also heard the neurosurgeon who works with him speak at the ANA conference last year in Orlando. He is Australian, but I can't remember his name. He is also very highly regarded. In the end, I chose House. I was able to fly and went with my comfort level with their experience and good end results.
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

FranDS

• 7mm; diag May 2, 2006
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 03:42:17 pm »
Thanks, everyone!  My Florida list is broadening, and maybe I won't have to get a prescription for Xanax, after all!
Fran
7mm May 2, 2006
Waiting and Watching

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 04:25:59 pm »
Personally I vote for the xanax!   ;D

Dr. Rhoton is listed on the ana site.

Fran there is a guy in orlando that had surgery I want to say at Shands who is hosts the support groups in orlando.  His name is Dennis...I'll check old emails and see what I can find.

Kilroy1976

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 09:37:50 pm »
I talked with Dr. Mendenhall and Dr. Foote at Shands. They were both very nice, very down to earth. Mendenhall... I don't know, I'm sure he knows his stuff, but he seemed keen on approximations and generalizations. That might be very beneficial for patients that didn't find this board and didn't really know what they were in for, but it was all old news to me. Dr. Foote seemed more technical and offered more details. I think Dr. Foote was the man hiding behind the curtain while I sucked up X-rays, but the only time I saw him on the day of the procedure was when he came into the waiting room to swipe an apple from the fruit basket (I always heard that apples repelled doctors). And of course I haven't been able to make contact with him since.

One thing I will say about Shands, they'll make you comfortable. It's very relaxed as hospitals go... the "nurse" was wearing a hawaiian shirt and sandals. Not sure about surgery if you're leaning that way, but with radiation they'll get you in and out quick. Oh, and that pain pill that they give you at 6:00 a.m. on an empty stomach, top notch!

Stay away from the xanax Fran. :P
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida