Author Topic: AN surgery in less than 3 hours  (Read 6585 times)

kaitysmom

Re: AN surgery in less than 3 hours
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 07:19:29 am »
Hi everyone!

Wellbsurgery went well as can be expected. SSD on right side. My problem is with my tongue.  Still can't swallow.tongue is so swollen. Drs. Say this haven once or twice a year.  Just takes time to go down.  Goodness is I've gotten up a couple times to walk and started therapy yesterday.  Boy I'm tired.  Thanks for you kind words.

Jody another nre Postie!

lori67

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 09:37:53 am »
Good to hear you're back and doing well - relatively speaking!   ;)

Also glad to hear you're up and walking and moving around.  That will get you out of the hospital faster and help your recovery.  Take one day at a time and don't push too hard. 

We knew you could do it!!!!!   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2010, 12:32:03 pm »
Jody .....

So glad your surgery is over and you at least felt well enough to post and let us know how you are doing.  As Lori says, walking is the best therapy ..... but do listen to your body and do not overdo it at first ..... walk, rest, rest, walk, rest, rest .....

Hopefully the swollen tongue will go down quickly.

Thoughts and prayers continue.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

cin605

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 01:46:43 pm »
Glad to hear surgery went well....If its any comfort my tongue was swollen in the left side for about 5 months after surgery,,,,still to this day i get some kind of drainage from the back  periodicly,Oh...it finally went down after drinking a piping hot coffee and eating a pretty hard bagle...I do not know if was a cyst typ thing but it drained out after that.
Rest is best right now...listen to your body and kno when to lay quiet.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 02:25:21 pm »
Hi, Jody ~

Congratulations on completing your surgery!  Usually, things like a swollen tongue are definitely temporary, just as the doctor stated.   Walking is great 'therapy' but you just had major surgery so your fatigue is quite normal and should get better, in time. Keep us posted, as you're able.  Thanks.

Jim
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 05:14:19 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 03:47:51 pm »
So glad surgery is over and you are able to be on the computer that is a good sign... Just take it easy and rest it will get better just take it one day at a time.

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Lizard

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 04:06:02 pm »
I'm so happy your surgery was a success, no rest up and hopefully the swelling in your tongue subsides quickly.
Welcome again to postie land!

Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Kaybo

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 07:43:19 pm »
Glad things went well...like Clarice said - listen to your body and REST!!  This is NOT a contest - slow & steady wins the race - as the saying goes - since this is not a race!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 09:21:07 pm »
Good to see you back, Jody.

Don't worry about the SSD too much - many people adjust to it. 

If you don't, there are options - TransEar and BAHA to be exact. 

Once you've had time to heal, if you think you might be interested in pursuing either option, you'll find lots of threads on the Forum about each of them.

And you'll find lots of your fellow Forumites willing to give you their opinions.  Don't hesitate to take us up on that.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

kaitysmom

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2010, 10:22:51 am »
Thank you all. Struggling with my swollen tongue. This part is frustrating.  Learning patience.  But, hanging in there.

moe

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2010, 10:55:23 am »
Congrats Jody!
Swollen tongue is weird, but I assume the facial nerve is intact, which is the best news.
Take it easy, let us know how things go...
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

nftwoed

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2010, 10:35:17 pm »
Good news, and congratulations!

Was wondering if the swollen tongue is its reaction to having a tube in place for general anesthesia?
   I felt SSD was easier to get used to than messing with the other stuff. The less apparatus one has to don, or is built in, the more freeing the feeling.
   I must have tried 4 or 5 of those Cros Aids. I've read transear is often good if the half shell is fit precisely. Many love their BAHAs! Rejoice! We have options.  : )
   Hang in there and recover quickly, OK? Remember, the body dictates the activity level. It's good to listen to it.

NFTED