Author Topic: Promised Recovery  (Read 3457 times)

cakulmom

• My Son-My Inspiration
Promised Recovery
« on: December 14, 2010, 08:33:56 am »
2 weeks post-op:  Staples removed.  Leonetti swore my facial weakness and eye thing will return to normal 1-3 months.  He ASSURED me.  So I need to endure and have faith. They showed me a better way to tape eye shut at night than ER doctor did.  Saw the opthomalogist later in the day.  She said, lubricate, lubricate, lubricate and see you in a month.

And, I was approved for road trip this weekend--out to NYC to pick up son and his fat cat who won't fit under airline seat.  No driving yet, but I can ride along.  Hopefully, weather will co-operate and we can do this in between snow storms. 

Headaches down to manageable--1000mg Tylenol every 8 hours or so.  They always start right in the surgical area (lower left, behind the ear).  Heading off to see son's neuropsychologist (he is 2 years out from his glioblastoma brain surgery--next MRI the 21st) this afternoon who can hopefully help me put this whole recovery thing in perspective.  You'd think I wouldn't be such a sissy considering what he's endured. 

Eye is dry, dry this morning.  Off to lubricate...
Age: 61 on Jan. 4.  Retrosigmoid for 2.2 cm AN on Nov. 30, 2010. Loyola-Leonetti & Anderson.
SSD left AN side.
There is nothing "benign" about this tumor.

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
Re: Promised Recovery
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 09:46:47 am »
Hang in there, things will get better. My surgery was August 19. I had it in my mind that the surgery was no big deal. It was a life changer. I am almost 4 months post-op and things are slowly improving. My facial weakness is gone. I don't need eye lubrication or drops, but it still doesn't produce tears. My taste is back about 75%. Balance and fatigue are still an issue. I started using a cane 2 months before surgery and still use one. Although there are periods where the balance feels fairly good. Just hang in there things will improve over time.

The surgery left me with SSD. The good news is I am 3+ weeks post-op from BAHA implant surgery. I get switched on in the middle of February and things will greatly improve like my attitude. I will be able to hear fro the left side again.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 09:52:05 am by keithk »
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

moe

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 10:19:09 am »
Hi!
You are actually doing pretty well for 2 weeks post op. :) This surgery takes a while to recup. My doctor told me up to a year before I feel myself again. All about learning to accept the "new you". I'm sure you'll feel better as time progresses. Give yourself at LEAST 6 weeks to 2 months to feel normal. You had BRAIN surgery :o ;)
Keep the faith. You'll most likely see little improvements in the face as time goes on.
A road trip is great! You will hopefully feel good just to get out and about. Easy pace, watch the complete bending over, which might make the headaches persist.
And continue to rest, rest. (oh yea it's December) You have this one excuse this year, so take advantage of it.
Happy holidays to you :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Mark241

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 10:27:04 am »
Hey hope I can help out, I can give you my recovery story and hope it helps out alittle. 2 weeks is a little soon to show huge gains in recovery. Most of the pain I had was on the scalp area, thousands of little nerves are pushed out of the way, then brought back together, those took me about 2 months to really heal to a point that it didn't bother so much.  My facial and taste came fully back at about 6 weeks, try not to look in the mirror every minute, "A watched pot never boil's" ha ha, time and relaxation is the best thing you can do right now. My prayers to you and your son.  
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w

cakulmom

• My Son-My Inspiration
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 07:54:27 pm »
Oh wow.  What a bunch of supportive people.  I am overwhelmed with gratitude.  Thank you all so much.  I'll learn to take baby steps.

BTW, my first teaching job was at Waukesha Central High School--1971!!  I'm a Milwaukee girl.

My son's neuropsychologist whom I saw today said it is not unusual to have periods of depression when the left side of the brain is operated on (or nearby, I guess).  She's an M.D. neurologist and PhD psychologist who treats brain tumor patients.  Thought that was interesting.  I declined any medicinal help at this point.  I think I'll be better when son is home with us next week and his MRI is clean.  Some of this may be the pre-MRI stress too.

I also realized that the hour I spent with her, my eye was comfortable, my nagging headache which had been with me all day gone (came back when I left the office).  I asked her if the office was humidified.  She said "highly;" she believes in lots of humidity.  So, bought 2 more humidifiers on the way home.  Wish they had one for the car to plug into the cigarette lighter!

I wish for all of you caring, wonderful people happy preparations for your holiday, much love and much good health in the months to come.

Age: 61 on Jan. 4.  Retrosigmoid for 2.2 cm AN on Nov. 30, 2010. Loyola-Leonetti & Anderson.
SSD left AN side.
There is nothing "benign" about this tumor.