Author Topic: CSF Leak Risks over time?  (Read 4463 times)

wcrimi

CSF Leak Risks over time?
« on: November 21, 2010, 05:27:07 pm »
It seems I've been reading about a lot of cases of CSF leaks lately.

I was under the impression that CSF leaks were a relatively lower level risk from surgery (maybe 10% of the time) that typically occur soon after surgery if they are going to occur at all.  I was also told that once a certain amount of time passes the probability of one occurring is reduced.   

Do a lot of people get leaks for the first time after 2 or more years of having no problem?

I am two years post op with no major complications and I was sort of getting relaxed about having to deal with anything other than my remaining balance issues. It seems like every time I come to this forum I read something that adds to my stress level. I don't mean that in a negative way because everyone here has been amazing both before and after my surgery. I guess sometimes though a little ignorance is bliss.

Wayne   

1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: CSF Leak Risks over time?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 03:23:54 pm »
Wayne ~

I wouldn't lose any sleep over the possibility of developing a CSF leak 2+ years post-op.  Frankly, once I passed the initial post-op healing stage (approximately 6 weeks) I never gave a CSF leak any thought.  I believe the statistics show a 10-15% chance of a post-op CSF leak within the first few weeks of the surgery.  I can't verify this but years-later CSF leaks must be extremely rare because there is little information available about them.  That doesn't mean they don't occur, just that the possibility of this happening are practically infinitesimal.  I'm well over four years past my AN surgery (retrosigmoid) and I'm not concerned about a CSF leak, although I do realize that, like winning the lottery, it could happen.  Information is always valuable but occasionally, too much information can be perplexing. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kenneth_k

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 06:20:51 am »
I agree with Jim. Furthermore, a CSF leak can occur without any surgery (idiopathic). That is also very rare and not something to worry about. However, I do recognize that once unfortunate having an AN, there might be a tendency to worry that something else unpleasant might happen. At least that is how I feel once in a while.

Kenneth

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 07:42:48 am »
Wayne .....

Like you, I have been noticing the uptick in CSF leak posts.  When reading about late happening leaks, my first thought was like yours.  However, I quickly realized I was overreacting to a rare occurrence.  Getting in my car and driving or riding is a much greater risk of injury so I simply have to put it all into perspective.  I have had to make a conscious choice not to let all the "what ifs" take control of my life ..... not always easy to do.

Prayers .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 10:20:26 am »
Wayne -

I wouldn't lose too much sleep worrying about a CSF leak.  I'm over 3 years post op and I've never had a leak.  Yes, that's just me, but I think the farther away from surgery you get the least likely one is to happen.  From what I understand, cases like Kenneth's are pretty rare - although he's proof that they do happen.

Another AN patient I know has a theory that those of us with fat in our heads seem to be the ones who've been spared CSF leaks, but I'm not certain that's correct.

I'm a fat head and have had no leaks - she is the same - but that may or may not prove anything.

In my opinion, you shouldn't worry about something that may or may not happen.  If it does happen you'll have no choice but to deal with it, if it doesn't happen you've just wasted a lot of time (and stress) worrying about nothing  :)

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wcrimi

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 10:42:05 am »
Thanks everyone.

I guess once you've gone through a few medical issues you start feeling like "what's next" and thinking the worst.

I have to get that under control a little. 
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move